Buckets and Bubble Trouble

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So last weekend I made 10 gallons of Barley Wine, 5 Gallons of Brown Ale, and 5 Gallons of Pale Ale (2nd runnings from the barley wine).

I have 4 buckets in my basement and the morning after brewing the barley wine buckets were going crazy, but the Brown and Pale ales were barely doing anything.. Naturally i checked for krausen and saw it was starting to form and by about 36-40 hours after pitching the brown and pale both had about 2-3 inches of Krausen but were not pushing the bubble lock.

So, I have a leak somewhere.. i sprayed starsan on the rubber grommet and it wasnt bubbling and I double checked the lid and it was on the buckets tight.. so where is all my CO2 going?

Also, if CO2 is leaking out then O2 will probably leak in and ruin my beer right? basically its an open fermenter right now till this weekend when I can start to rack stuff.

CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so if your beer is fermenting and its giving off co2, it will push all of the O2 out.

Sorry to hear about the leaks! Ive never had a problem like this so unfortunately, I cant help there

it looks like there was some flash on the rim of the bucket.. its possible thats the culprit.
But this is day 5 so the CO2 should be slowing down on them. I need to get them into secondaries

CO2 is heavier than oxygen, so if your beer is fermenting and its giving off co2, it will push all of the O2 out.

Sorry to hear about the leaks! Ive never had a problem like this so unfortunately, I cant help there

Also, if left undisturbed the co2 will form a blanket over the top of the beer keeping it safe from oxygen, I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Back