Another good brew, but a couple of questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
Today I bottled my Magic Hat #9 clone, and the sample tasted just perfect. I was sad to find out that I only go 42 bottles out of the batch, I forgot to top off to 5 gals. I am sure it will turn out well.

now to the questions. Today I set up my swamp cooler for my IPA to keep the temps down, (heat wave coming). It is exactly 70F, and SWMBO only noticed it when I told her, so she is happy.

Is is possible to lager in this set up? I know you have to constantly pay attention to the temps, but has anyone had success with this? i wouldn't think it would work but I thought i would see others have done.

I haven't ever had my swamp cooler able to cool below 68 deg F. Theoretically, you can get it to 58, which is pretty close to lagering temp. Here is an efficiency chart: Evaporative Cooling Humidity Index

I lager in the 38-50 range, with a brief (2 day) raise in temperature to 60. I did however find some yeast that are botom-ferminting that would ferment in the 70's like saflager-s23. Here is a link:http://www.northernbrewer.com/dried-yeast.html

Back