How to re-pitch with for a tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vespabrew

Reaction score
I am starting my second Tripel and I see everywhere (including the recipe I have) that I should re-pitch yeast 3 days before bottling. How exactly do I go about doing that? Should I save some from my starter? Use yeast that was washed from the primary? How much yeast should I use? Will new yeast really stay in suspension for 3 days, or will it just settle out? Why can't I just shake up the yeast from the bottom? With no new sugar added won't the yeast just fall out?

Okay enough already. I know I have a lot of questions, and even the slightest amount of advice will be appreciated.
Also, sorry if this has been posted already, but after a bit of searching I have not come across an answer to my questions. Maybe I am just bad at searching.

There's no single best answer to this. The advice is given because a high-gravity ferment like a Tripel can leave the yeast so depleted it won't wake up. I don't know about the 3 days - I think it's fine to add it any time, including in the bottling bucket, as long as it's re-hydrated. It also doesn't take much (sorry, not very quantitative). Thus, you can use yeast from your starter or (my favorite) a neutral dry yeast, like Safale 04 or 05. The washed yeast from the primary would not be the best (because it's been through a high-gravity ferment).

That's not unusual. With good yeast treatment, it should be up to the task of carbonating. What vespabrew is asking about is insurance. If you've ever had a barleywine or Tripel that didn't carbonate, you'll realize that a Safale packet is really cheap insurance.

I like the idea of the safale. Thanks. The Wyeast gets expensive so I like the fix.

Back