New to filtering help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
I think i might try filtering my beer next. I come into a little bit of money and i think i might invest into a filtering system. I already have 2 kegs and a setup for that. Im thinking about ordering another keg and a filter setup for a keg to keg setup.

Im wondering if it is actually worth it or is it not. Also what should i get for a filtering setup. I see what midwest has to offer and its like a big water filter system that i use now. Is that one ok or should i use a flat filter to push threw. Also what kind of filter's should i be using. Im going to buy another keg just to have it, i need it anyways

For the whole house water filter type:

There is a lot to read on the net about it, pro and con. The most concern I've read is oxygenation since the filter media is chaulk full of tiny pores holding air. What I have read suggests assembling the entire filter submerged in StanStan, then use several gallons of sterile (store bought, UV treated) water to push the StarSan out. Once that is down, connect the donor keg and have a bucket handy to catch the water exiting as the beer starts to come through the filter, then connect the receiving keg to the filter output.

The consensus seemed to be 3 microns for the filter size, and just go slow.

that sounds like a lot of cons to the water house style filter type. Sounds like the pad filter type is the way to go.

do you filter at all??

that sounds like a lot of cons to the water house style filter type. Sounds like the pad filter type is the way to go.

do you filter at all??

Yeah, I'm weird, I filter out of the kettle into the fermentor using a 20 micron whole house filter and a diaphragm pump (wine/beer transfer pump). Gets about 90% of the trub.

helibrewer said:
For the whole house water filter type:

There is a lot to read on the net about it, pro and con. The most concern I've read is oxygenation since the filter media is chaulk full of tiny pores holding air. What I have read suggests assembling the entire filter submerged in StanStan, then use several gallons of sterile (store bought, UV treated) water to push the StarSan out. Once that is down, connect the donor keg and have a bucket handy to catch the water exiting as the beer starts to come through the filter, then connect the receiving keg to the filter output.

The consensus seemed to be 3 microns for the filter size, and just go slow.

Or you could just purge it with co2

i filter the wert before i put it into the fermenter to remove husks and grain material and hop material and anything else that i can get out, using my filter for my carboy funnel.

I'm looking to filter to get the beer clear. I tried irish moss and didn't seem to work. Or maybe it doesn't work on darker beers. I tried it with a porter and still seems dark and not clear.

Back