Mocha Java Sweet Stout; or, My Second All Grain Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sweaterman

Reaction score
So the plan was to brew a Milk Stout base, and make it taste like a Mocha. I have seen some other people kind of on this trend and I read up a lot about it before hand. Here's what I did:

8lbs British 2-row
1.25 lbs Crystal 60L
.75 lbs British Chocolate
.75 lbs Roasted Barley
.75 lbs Flaked Barley

Mashed at 152F for 1hr

The fly sparge got pretty messed up because the input was much quicker than the output and my friend (much more experienced than I) and I left to get some ice cream from the cafe across the street. We came back and the cooler was full up with sparge water.

Whatever, we drained it slowly like we would anyway and came out with a good 7 gallons in the brew kettle and finished with a good 6 gallons after the boil.

The boil:
60 mins: 1oz Perle 7.8% AAU
10 mins: 1lb Lactose
5 mins: 1 oz UK Goldings 5.8%

During the chill at about 180F I added 6oz of Penzey's Natural Cocoa that had been preheated itself with water to about 180F. This made the brew much more cloudy and brown, but I am not worried about this too much. I think it will all sediment out just like that cocoa in the bottom of your glass.

OG at 80F was 1.058 after the chill, pitched White Labs London Ale yeast.

The plan is to add 2 split vanilla beans at secondary to mellow out the bitterness of the cocoa and coffee. The coffee will be cold press so illiminate as much bitterness from that as possible. The quantity will be 12oz added at bottling. Let me know what y'all think. Any adjustments I should make in the next steps?

Back