Vacuum Sealers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bitmask

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Looking to start buying hops in bulk, and amazon reviews and the such all have completely mixed reviews of nearly every vacuum sealer available. People either love the model or hate it, it seems.

So I'm just curious which ones people here have used with success, which ones they've tried and hated.

I'm leaning towards Seal-a-Meal VS107 Food Sealer because it got 'decent' reviews, and doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

Using a cheap Foodsaver V2222. Works great for packaging hops and grains.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a cheap Rival SAM a few years back and the heat strip that seals the bag got a tear in the teflon coating and started making the bags stick and rip. They would not offer to sell me a part to fix it.

I bought some high temperature teflon tape from McMaster-Carr and patched it up and it work fine now. But I won't buy another SAM after this. I probably used the thing less than 15 times before it broke, and their lack of customer care and service options lost them my business.

I did the same research and was also totally befuddled. Given the range of opinions on each unit, it was hard to believe any of it.

So, after my first bulk hops purchase I went the cheap way to see if it had any success...if I liked it then I'd consider purchasing a more expensive unit.

Here's what I bought (at Target):
http://www.target.com/Foodsaver-Han...om_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

I bought some FoodSaver "ziploc" type bags that are made for it, plus a plastic storage container also compatible with it. I only bought 1.5 pounds of hops - 1 lb Cascade, .5 lb Centennial. I put the lb of Cascade in the plastic container, and the foil sealed 2 oz pkgs of Centennial into a couple of the FoodSaver ziplocs. I charged and used the unit on the container and bags. Watching the bag collapse as the air is released is waaaay cool! Not as cool with the container (no collapsing :( ), but you can hear a difference in the timbre of the machine's sound when it's working and done.

These bags are reusable. They are supposedly not for the freezer. Reading online reviews, a number of people said they work fine in the freezer if they are not jostled too much during freezer storage. So, I vacuumed them out, placed them in a "real ziploc" freezer bag and put them in our storage freezer in the basement.

I've opened and resealed about 3 times so far - no problems. I also started using the FS bags for cheese and other stuff - works well. However, I can't vouch for them on a long term basis yet.

I was out about $35 for the machine, bags, and container. My thinking is that if these work okay for the next 6-12 months, I might invest in a more expensive solution.

I have the basic model foodsaver (the smaller one). Have been using it for meats, etc for 18 months. Have used it three/four times for grains. Never had a problem and if it blew up tonight, I would buy another one tomorrow.

One note, it is far cheaper to buy the rolls of foodsaver material and make your own bags than buying the foodsaver bags. It only takes an extra minute to seal the back side of the bag, and you can make whatever size you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
That basil description on woot is funny. I have the foodaver and it works well. I know you can get parts for them, too. I use the rolls. I got the jar attachment and it's handy , and you save money not buying bags for thing you can put into jars. Foodsaver seems to have the most solid reputation of the home type units. Anything nicer jumps the price astronomically.
I will have to look into those Weston bags.

I'm on my second vacuum packager. First one that I used for a number of year was a basic Black/Decker model. Worked OK, but then a defect on the sealing strip caused a small hole in the seals in the bags (burned through both layers instead of sealing them). I use the rolls of bag material as well and was having about every third or forth bag fail on me (2 seals on each bag).

Got in on the deal for the foodsaver V2244 around Xmas time this year (something like $25+free ship; retailed for $80). This is a much nicer unit. It has the locking lever, a wider seal, and it faster. Works great.

My feel is that you probably want to pay for a $50-80 unit instead of going ultra-cheap. These are great appliances to have around and you'll find any number of uses for it beside brewing. Spend a little more and get a better quality unit.

I also seal up open bags of malt extract (and other sugars)....

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've definitely gotta work the angle with SWMBO that we need it for storing food so it's not just another 'toy' i bought for brewing...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've definitely gotta work the angle with SWMBO that we need it for storing food so it's not just another 'toy' i bought for brewing...

My SWMBO calls it the HopSaver...she knows why we got it. I do use it for other stuff - sauces, gravys, etc. in mason jars. I bought the wide-mouth mason jar attachment and you can use it with Ball mason jars that you buy at Target or Walmart. At Walmart, the mason jars are either labeled normal or wide mouth...foodsaver has an attachment for each. It's obviously easier to just buy one attachment and only buy that kind of mason jar.

Do yourself a favor and buy the real FoodSaver brand, and don't use generic bags. If you are patient, many models do go on sale for 50% off on the FoodSaver website, and you can get great deals on the bag rolls if you wait for a sale and then also use the bulk discount.

I keep a lot of things in glass mason jars and use the FoodSaver to vacuum seal the lids in between uses. The mason jar adapters for the FS are fairly cheap.

I did the same research and was also totally befuddled. Given the range of opinions on each unit, it was hard to believe any of it.

So, after my first bulk hops purchase I went the cheap way to see if it had any success...if I liked it then I'd consider purchasing a more expensive unit.

Here's what I bought (at Target):
http://www.target.com/Foodsaver-Han...om_size-bin,target_com_brand-bin&frombrowse=0

I bought some FoodSaver "ziploc" type bags that are made for it, plus a plastic storage container also compatible with it. I only bought 1.5 pounds of hops - 1 lb Cascade, .5 lb Centennial. I put the lb of Cascade in the plastic container, and the foil sealed 2 oz pkgs of Centennial into a couple of the FoodSaver ziplocs. I charged and used the unit on the container and bags. Watching the bag collapse as the air is released is waaaay cool! Not as cool with the container (no collapsing :( ), but you can hear a difference in the timbre of the machine's sound when it's working and done.

These bags are reusable. They are supposedly not for the freezer. Reading online reviews, a number of people said they work fine in the freezer if they are not jostled too much during freezer storage. So, I vacuumed them out, placed them in a "real ziploc" freezer bag and put them in our storage freezer in the basement.

I've opened and resealed about 3 times so far - no problems. I also started using the FS bags for cheese and other stuff - works well. However, I can't vouch for them on a long term basis yet.

I was out about $35 for the machine, bags, and container. My thinking is that if these work okay for the next 6-12 months, I might invest in a more expensive solution.

Would it make sense to seal the hops in bags first, then place bags into mason jar, use jar sealer to seal up to minimize jostling? How much time can you get out of freezer storing hops with this unit?

I have a foodsaver I bought from Costco and then I bought the mason jar attachment off of Amazon and store all the hops in mason jars. Works very well and I don't have to buy bags for the hops. Most of the foodsaver units have the attachment port

Back