Darth Vader IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is in the Darth Vader? I did a dark pale ale/ lower end IPA that is just so yummy after it aged about a month that I cannot get enough of it, and I am not much of an IPA to start with.

5 gallon batch, 5 gallon boil, 30 minute total boil time, 48 IBU, 40 SRM, OG 1.063 FG 1.015

8 lb of extra light LME
steeped 1.25 lb of CarfaIII and .5 lb of Carapils,

1 oz Simcoe 30 min
.5 oz Simcoe 20 min
.5 oz Simcoe 10 min

pitched WLP 001

:mug:

Here I am, making a batch of Darth Vader IPA. Interested to see how this turns out. And of course you can't brew without a brew. Drinking "Night Train" by local O'so Brewery.

Your kitchen looks nice!
It is clean and has no clutter!
Can I brew there as well?

Lol my kitchen is deceiving. Along with the clutter I moved to the other counters and dining room table, I also have cats that like to... "Help". So I try to keep as much or of my work space as possible. I read somewhere it helps to lay everything out, in the order your going to use it so you don't forget anything.

Here's the recipe:

View attachment 1429725841143.jpg

I think you're gonna need a good deal more hops and more blackprinz to end up with a good Black IPA. I'm pretty certain this recipe will yield more of a slightly hoppy Brown ale. What are you mashing at?

I mashed at about 154. 3 gallon boil then I'm going to top off to 5 gal.

I kind of agree about the hops. But this is the recipe as I find it (name and all) so I figured I would give it a shot before I changed it around too much. Maybe I'll get some galaxy hops, (since it should be from a galaxy far far away ;-) ) about 2-3oz

I've made the same recipe, but upped it up to a 6 gallon batch and tweaked it a little bit, as my LHBS doesn't carry some of the things. And truly, it's a nice nice black with a little bit of reddish to it. It comes out with a good hoppiness, but not too much, so non IPA likers can also enjoy it. I made mine more in the area of 6.5%... Very drinkable! I love it. Just kegged some, so another batch is going in this weekend.
Enjoy!!

I wanted to up the alcohol, to make sure it lived up to the standards of the Empire... Make sure it's truly fit to be called an Imperial. I wanted to stick to the characteristics of its name sake as much as possible

Back