The Coming Entitlement Meltdown

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EdWort said:
Yep, voted in by the two states with the largest number of people dependant upon the nanny state (New York & California).

Luckily we are a representative republic and not a democracy or we would have gone the way of Rome years ago.

We are nearing the point where the takers outnumber the producers.
In the history of the world no government let alone a democracy or republic has ever stood. It seems a dictatorship of some sort always wins. And even then that government falls when the people pull their heads out of their asses and reinstate something resembling a fair government.

We like to blame the politicians. Then, we don't pay attention to what is going on. then, when we are told by some special interest group that they are bad, we vilify them.

Ok, that's fine. But now the real question....

What are we willing to give up? No, not the stuff the other guy wants. What are we personally willing to give up.

Your big trucks?
Your mother's ss entitlement? Can she live with you?
If you need an organ transplant, you willing to take yourself off the list?

We have huge problems here people. and, they will not simply be solved by pointing fingers and saying its pther people that have caused it. We all have.

Too many people with too many wants that turn into demands.

Gammon N Beer said:
We like to blame the politicians. Then, we don't pay attention to what is going on. then, when we are told by some special interest group that they are bad, we vilify them.

Ok, that's fine. But now the real question....

What are we willing to give up? No, not the stuff the other guy wants. What are we personally willing to give up.

Your big trucks?
Your mother's ss entitlement? Can she live with you?
If you need an organ transplant, you willing to take yourself off the list?

We have huge problems here people. and, they will not simply be solved by pointing fingers and saying its pther people that have caused it. We all have.

Too many people with too many wants that turn into demands.

I am willing to give up the taxation and regulations that force truck makers to move to other countries and raise the the pricing of trucks.

I am willing to give up the practice of forced income confiscation by government entites only to have those monies go to those who didn't earn it, who are not infirmed and are unwilling to work.

I am willing to give up the idea that it is OK for government entities to tell me how best to spend my income.

I am willing to give uip the idea that government entities can tell me how much force I can use to protect myself, my family and property.

etc.

The notion that "most people are progressive" is insipid. "Most people" do not know where they are in the political spectrum and don't care. Many have "grown up" mistakenly believing that government exists to give rights and provide all manner of creature comforts for them. By virtue of the fact that many accept their freebies from mothe government is NO indication that they are progressive or anything else politically.

skinfiddler said:
I am willing to give up the taxation and regulations that force truck makers to move to other countries and raise the the pricing of trucks.

I am willing to give up the practice of forced income confiscation by government entites only to have those monies go to those who didn't earn it, who are not infirmed and are unwilling to work.

I am willing to give up the idea that it is OK for government entities to tell me how best to spend my income.

I am willing to give uip the idea that government entities can tell me how much force I can use to protect myself, my family and property.

etc.

The notion that "most people are progressive" is insipid. "Most people" do not know where they are in the political spectrum and don't care. Many have "grown up" mistakenly believing that government exists to give rights and provide all manner of creature comforts for them. By virtue of the fact that many accept their freebies from mothe government is NO indication that they are progressive or anything else politically.

+million - on everything he said... RIGHT ON THE MARK!!!

americans that make over 97K do not pay a proportional amount of payroll and social security tax

As someone else already mentioned, over half the taxes are paid by the top 5% of income earners. They are doing their share. But Obama (and all) would rather have the votes of the 95% than the 5%.

The job of a politician is not to run the district/state/country well but to get elected. The skill set necessary to get elected is not particularly relevant to the skill set required to run the district/state/country well. So you can't blame Obama (or others) because, bottom line, any politician who stands up and tells the truth about what needs to be done will lose more votes than he/she would gain . . . which makes him/her a bad politician because his/her job is to maximize votes.

Rick

EdWort said:
Absolutely not a single one has the cajones. They will just let it spiral and keep taking more and more till we start tossing empty beer cases into Boston harbor (no one in their right mind would toss full cases of beer into the harbor to simulate the Boston Tea Party).

it's not that none of them have the balls-- it's that it would take a large number of politians with the balls to do it to all be in office and working together to make it happen. The 2 party advesarial system we've developed in this country doesn't really allow for that to occur.

France, for all its problems otherwise, at least has a form of democratic rule that can change the parties in power pretty regularly. A multiparty system allows for politians easily align themselves with groups to pass legislation without fearing that they'll lose access to the coffers of cash from the 'big 2' parties.

Back