Hospitals, how much they suck.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HHP

Reaction score
I have never been admitted to a hospital before, until three days ago.

To make a long story short, I am currently deployed to Iraq. About a week ago, I started noticing pains in my ass, about where my tail bone ends, and it starts hurting, bad. I assumed it was a bruised tail bone, and so did my squadron's (same as a battalion) physicians assistant. A few more days go by and it starts swelling. I go back and he diagnoses it as a 'Pilonidal Cyst', and he refers me to the CSH (military hospital designed for minor problems, and stabilizing seriously wounded soldiers for the trip to Germany).

On the way down to the hospital, my medic tells me about how they are just going to lance it and send me on my way. This could not be further from the truth. I see about fourteen different doctors before they finally send a surgeon in, who knows what shes looking at. They admit me, we wait for my last meal to digest while I meet with the surgeon and anesthesiologist. They do the surgery, which involves a 4cm incision right up my crack and the removal of 20ml of puss.

That being all said and done is fine, but now comes the ****ty part. The stay afterwards. They have kept me for three nights afterwards and counting, so that they can check on the infected flesh and continue to give me intravenous antibiotics.

So, I have never really been in a hospital before, and I hope I never go back. I cant get any sleep, the beeping never stops, they keep waking me up for 'vitals' and crap like that. It is overall just a ****ty situation. I cant really do anything for myself, I have to ask for permission or let the nurses know any time i do anything. The nurses are nice, and doint their jobs it just sucks to be here. (As I write this, literally right now the nurse came to take my 'vitals', just as an example)

I get about three hours of sleep in a night, the rest is just broken up naps throughout the day. It just feels like it is a wonder anyone really ever recovers in a hospital. I hope I am never admitted to a hospital again.

Revvy- My hat is off to you, I dont know how you have done it.

Wow. I've never had to stay over night in a hospital, just several visits for various injuries from sports or on-the-job.

Thank you for your service, get well, and stay safe!

Yeah the morphine helped.

I just got out today, but I hope I never go back to a hospital again. They are awful.

Just caught this. Hospitals totally suck. I've spent over 140 days in the hospital over the last 10 years. 2 stints of 35 days plus in a row. Last year spent 35 days, got out, went back in for another 18 days. Fought infection they gave me for another 6 weeks and another surgery for the infection. Wound vac for 5 months. Yea they suck! 3 million in health care over the last 10 years with 323k out of pocket. I could go on forever talking about hospitals, doctors, drug reps, and insurance rip offs. More power to you. Glad it was only a pain in your ass. :D No rest to be had in the hospital. By the way, thanks for your service!

Just caught this. Hospitals totally suck. I've spent over 140 days in the hospital over the last 10 years. 2 stints of 35 days plus in a row. Last year spent 35 days, got out, went back in for another 18 days. Fought infection they gave me for another 6 weeks and another surgery for the infection. Wound vac for 5 months. Yea they suck! 3 million in health care over the last 10 years with 323k out of pocket. I could go on forever talking about hospitals, doctors, drug reps, and insurance rip offs. More power to you. Glad it was only a pain in your ass. :D No rest to be had in the hospital. By the way, thanks for your service!

Wow. That is awful. I thought my three days were bad ... but dayumn.

Yeah I'm doing better, just changing the packing in my wound daily.

No problem for the service, its just a job. I have 8 months left in country and 23 months left until I am an adult again.

Back