American wheat fermentation extract

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blobs

Reaction score
I just brewed a American wheat ale, and in the instructions it say to do 2 weeks in primary then bottle. I would like to know is it better to do 1 week in the primary and 1 week in the secondary? Also why do some kits say to do a primary and secondary, how does it change the beer at the end? Thank you

my advice is to leave it in the primary for a minimum of 2 weeks or until fermentation is complete, which ever is longer. some kits say to rack to a secondary because they believe that it will help clear the beer and prevent off flavors. this is not really true. seeing as this is a wheat beer it is going to be cloudy no matter what you do.

my advice is to leave it in the primary for a minimum of 2 weeks or until fermentation is complete, which ever is longer. some kits say to rack to a secondary because they believe that it will help clear the beer and prevent off flavors. this is not really true. seeing as this is a wheat beer it is going to be cloudy no matter what you do.

+1 the secondary thing is old school. All the cool cats just use a primary these days.

I seldom secondary anything other than for freeing up a primary a couple times so I could brew another batch.
The only exceptions to this were some fruit beers where the fruit went into the secondary and I also did a tertiary on these due to the large amount of crud left behind from the fruit.

You could secondary if you're going to batch prime and/or add anything to the wheat...orange, coriander, etc. But other than that, as someone else said, its mainly for clearing up a brew, and theres no need for wheats, stouts, etc.

There is no reason to go to the secondary for a wheat. I keep wheat in the primary for three weeks then bottle. It's going to be cloudy, it's acceptable for the style.

Latest posts

Back