Strange flavor/smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocScott

Reaction score
I just bottled a blue moon clone that smelled and tasted kind of like formaldehyde. I had slow initial fermentation so I warmed it up then forgot about it. Fermented at around 73-75 for 2-3 weeks with WLP001. I'm pretty sure the off flavor/smell is either from too hot fermentation or infection. Will this off flavor/smell go away with bottle conditioning or do I need to dump this batch? Anything else that causes this smell?

I just bottled a blue moon clone that smelled and tasted kind of like formaldehyde. I had slow initial fermentation so I warmed it up then forgot about it. Fermented at around 73-75 for 2-3 weeks with WLP001. I'm pretty sure the off flavor/smell is either from too hot fermentation or infection. Will this off flavor/smell go away with bottle conditioning or do I need to dump this batch? Anything else that causes this smell?

It could very well be "phenols" from the stressed yeast. If it started slow, it may have been underpitched to begin with and then warming it up would really encourage those off-flavors. It's never gotten better in my experience (in fact, worse), but it's worth aging to see just in case!

Back