Better Than The Original: Commercial Brews vs Homebrew Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhamilton

Reaction score
So after 3-4 evolutions of my house IPA which started as a commercial clone, me and SWMBO went back and did a side-by-side with the original commercial brew and we both agreed that my brew was far superior while still being similar. This got me thinking about a cool thread:

If you have a homebrew recipe that is similar, yet superior to a commercial version, post it here. It should read like: "If you like XXX (commercial), try this!" and link to the recipe. If you brew the recipe and agree, quote the post and +1 it. If you think the commercial version is better, quote it and -1 it. If the thread gets enough traction, I'll index them and we'll have a nice list of commercial brews and homebrew recipes that the community thinks is better.

It can be your personal recipe or it can be something you found. Just make sure you've actually brewed it and have done a side-by-side to confirm the homebrew is better.

If you enjoy Schlafly American IPA, but want something less sweet, more crisp, and more round, then try this:

Reach 1.064 OG with 87% Great Western 2-row, 5% Corn Sugar, 4% White Wheat, 4% CaraHell.
The commercial beer probably uses about 7% C-60, which I find to be quite distracting.

Finish around 1.010-1.012 FG.

63 IBUs [Rager]

60/30/15/10 additions of Centennial. Shoot for about 20-25 IBUs from the first addition. Do not FWH.

Amarillo, Simcoe, and Centennial pellet 30 min. aroma steep during whirlpool (100-150 F)

Heavy Simcoe pellet dryhop with some supplementary Amarillo
Total dryhops required = 0.60-0.65 oz. per gallon of beer.

WLP001 Starter
Gypsum if needed

The instructions are sort of complicated for me, but I have a DFH 60 minute clone that is better than the original. (Recipe under my "recipe pulldown" under my avatar).

Latest posts

Back