WTF is this?! Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok - so I got home and the thingy made it's way up to the top of the bottle. I'm too lazy to rotate them. Get over it.
DSCF6118.jpg

DSCF6117.jpg

No gusher, the beer tasted normal, pretty disappointing.
DSCF6123.jpg

After taking a closer look, I think that SOMEONE didn't rinse the bottle properly when they were done and the yeast layer dried. I don't know how this happened because I'm a rinsing nazi and I usually babysit everyone when they open bottles, but I guess I missed this one. I'm a little embarassed.

That looks A LOT like just simple mold. Leave a small amount of beer in a bottle and then let the bottle sit for about two months and that's what you get... not that I've done that...

I had one of those last week openeing my first bottle of Ed's Hause Ale. (I brewed it not Ed)Only mine was 2-3 blobs instead of a long string. Maybe cause it was in a Red Stripe Stubby. It tasted horrible and moldy. So i put two more in the fridge for the next night. The next ones the next day showed no signs of the creatures but had the same gross effect so i think it's safe to say it had nothing to do with the off flavor as confirmed buy yours being good. I just appearently somehow messed up the whole batch. letting it sit and trying one every couple weeks to see if the nastiness goes away.

I had that happen on a batch of cider I did in a growler. The thing just continued to get bigger and bigger. It tasted just a little more sour then the batch that was right next to it but was actually clean

I'm new to this... but as often as I check to see how it's progressing... there might as well be an umbilical cord.

Well your are disapointed about the beer tasting normal so go ahead and take a nice big bite off of that thing.

What the hell is that thing? It looks like a deflated sausage casing! You know, it could be like "beer jerky". I think Laurel has her first yeast infection! :drunk:

I'm new to this... but as often as I check to see how it's progressing... there might as well be an umbilical cord.

That's understandable. I've made hundreds of gallons, and I still love checking a new batch in the morning, after pitching the night before. Those first bubbling signs of life never fail to please.

Don't let us catch you sniffing the airlock though...or is it too late for that? ;)

Back