grain score! How to store?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
Hate to brag but I got a sweet line on malted grain now via work. Well, my brother in law does anyway. He brought me home 110 lbs of 2 row, 55 lbs of wheat, 55 lbs of caramel 30, and 55 lbs of crystal 60. What I'm going to do with the that much crystal and caramel, I don't know, but you can bet your butt's I'm going to have some pales and weizens on tap before too long. 100 % free of charge too:ban:
Any recommendations on storing larger amounts of grain?

It won't keep. You'd better send some to me and I'll help use it before it spoils.

:D

Buy some plastic totes and store your grain in there. As long as it isn't precrushed, it will keep fine.

Let me preface this with Damn you, ok but yeah, find some rubermaid storage boxes with lids. I would really even recommend wrapping a bungee around the totes to ensure no varmints get in there.

Thanks for the links and ideas. Should I use anything to absorb moisture? I had to order a Crankenstein mill :) to handle the grinding duties.

Dude, since that crystal is going to be stored for a while, I'd use these (which I use) :
ziploc+big+bags.jpg

They are like 4 for 5 bucks at wal mart and hold 30+ pounds each. They seal air tight and you can squeeze most of the air out of them as you seal.

got another 200 lbs. today, WOW! I've got some brewing to do. I recieved my Cankenstein grain mill yesterday, I'll build a hopper for it this week if i get time. I'm still working on storage ideas. I'm leaning towards food grade sealable 7 gallon buckets for the opened bags and rubbermaid tubs for the unopened bags. Thanks.:mug:

A FoodSaver is nice for storing smaller quantities. I sometimes make up 5-10 lb bags of vacuum sealed grain for long term storage. You've got enough grain there to warrant a bit larger system, though. Rubbermaid is gonna like you this Christmas!

Latest posts

Back