What I did for beer today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today a took a gravity sample of my brut IPA. I also added the amylase and dry hops. Still a lot of yeast in suspension in the sample but tasted great.
C28697B2-CA2A-48B0-BF68-56076E50DA23.jpeg

Since I've got space in the kegerator, just moved the keg out of the FC into that. Hooked up a CO2 line at 2.5 psi just to give it a little juice while it cools down.

Definitely need to get this thing back up to full capacity tho. Odd how 'other' stuff just seems to show up in there when it isn't.

IMG_7646.jpeg

Today I planned to ... never mind. I had to have a root canal. I'm not fishing for anything, it's just one of those things that happens, and I have no issues with it since my late Dad was a dentist. But there is no way I am cleaning a keg so I can xfr my fermenting Mexican Lager with Motueka today. I now know what it's like when someone says "hit upside the head with a 2x4".

I'm dipping into the New Glarus Spotted Cow (surreptitiously transported home after last summer's Milwaukee bike trip), but only for medicinal reasons.

That's what I did for beer today.

Today I planned to ... never mind. I had to have a root canal. I'm not fishing for anything, it's just one of those things that happens, and I have no issues with it since my late Dad was a dentist. But there is no way I am cleaning a keg so I can xfr my fermenting Mexican Lager with Motueka today. I now know what it's like when someone says "hit upside the head with a 2x4".

I'm dipping into the New Glarus Spotted Cow (surreptitiously transported home after last summer's Milwaukee bike trip), but only for medicinal reasons.

That's what I did for beer today.
I feel for you. I had six root canals all at once 6 years ago. That's what I get for avoiding dentist like the plague! Army dentist butchered me and I swore I'd never put myself in their torture chambers again. Paid for it in the long run. 6 roots all at once..there wasn't enough beer in S.E Michigan for the next week to get through that !!

One week in, took a sample from the Maibock in the fermenter to check gravity, taste, clarity, etc. Reading the refractometer, got a 1.042 -- slight panic, did some research, found the bit about alcohol throwing the reading off, so I did a tube with the hydrometer... got a 1.016, right in the "finished" zone.

Assistent Braulein brought home an actual Abita Mardi Gras Bock, so I was able to compare my sample directly to the commercial product. While Abita's is good -- sorry, folks -- I think mine is better, and it's only a week old, still full of yeast, and has wonderful bready, biscuity notes missing from Abita's brew. I know some of that will fade with aging, but I'm pretty impressed with my first lager yeast brew and how close it actually came to matching a commercial product.

Since I've got space in the kegerator, just moved the keg out of the FC into that. Hooked up a CO2 line at 2.5 psi just to give it a little juice while it cools down.

Definitely need to get this thing back up to full capacity tho. Odd how 'other' stuff just seems to show up in there when it isn't.

View attachment 809580

i especially like the V8 some how upside down in it! 🤣 :mug:

hey gramps, now that i'm spending $25 a sack on barley is it going to be profitable enough for you to grow? just curious.....mostly because i don't know how to feel about it....

hey gramps, now that i'm spending $25 a sack on barley is it going to be profitable enough for you to grow? just curious.....mostly because i don't know how to feel about it....
Feed barley, yesterday, was $6.15 a bushel (48 lbs in a bushel of barley). So, you’re paying roughly 4X what I could sell feed barley for. Malt barley was $7.35 a bushel. Wheat was $9.00 a bushel (60 lbs in a bushel of wheat). We can grow more bushels of barley per acre than we can wheat but the price differential makes it about a wash. The other disadvantage to growing barley vs wheat is the relative lack of demand for barley. We can sell wheat and deliver it pretty much any time. To get barley delivered we might have to wait weeks, sometimes a month or more, for the grain co. to have available storage for barley. The whole point of selling crops is to get paid. We don’t get paid until the grain is delivered.

selling crops is to get paid.

i know that, thanks for the clarification....i still apreciate your 'honest' work, i lived in NorCal, and hated other farms putting kids on the streets i had to basicly wade through to get in the stores.....

they were getting 3lbs pot a plant, and selling it for ~$30k, i'm not a fan......

...and the recipe for the QE2 would be?:ghostly:
Maris Otter 5.25 lb (50%)
2-row 4.2 lb (40%)
White Wheat Malt 1 lb (10%)

Magnum 11.3 AA% 0.8 oz @ 60 min
Fuggle 4.3 AA% 1.7 oz @ 10 min
Cascade 7.5 AA% 1.0 oz @ 10 min
Fuggle 4.6 AA% 1.6 oz Dry hop for 3 days
Cascade 5.9 AA% 1.2 oz Dry hop for 3 days

Mash 60 mins at 150 F

Safale US-04

Funnily enough, not much esters despite using US-04 so other UK yeast might be in order. I'll probably bump up the dry hopping to get more of the US hops flavor in there.

That's so freaking cool !!! Now...what is it ???😳
Hazy Pale w/Trident hops. Pulled a sample after the transfer was done and it was fairly...boring. I'll wait until it is done carbonating before deciding, but I'm already trying to figure out how I might go about adjusting it if I don't like it. Never done a hop tea before or anything along those lines, so I might need to start reading.

Hazy Pale w/Trident hops. Pulled a sample after the transfer was done and it was fairly...boring. I'll wait until it is done carbonating before deciding, but I'm already trying to figure out how I might go about adjusting it if I don't like it. Never done a hop tea before or anything along those lines, so I might need to start reading.
🤣😂🤣😂. Thank you but I was talking about the Northern Brewer Digital whatchamacallit thingy on the wall that looks so mad scientist..ish. Don't know what it is or does..but it looks so cool I want one !!! 😂🤣

🤣😂🤣😂. Thank you but I was talking about the Northern Brewer Digital whatchamacallit thingy on the wall that looks so mad scientist..ish. Don't know what it is or does..but it looks so cool I want one !!! 😂🤣

Oh...that! It is just a scale I purchased from them a couple of years ago when one of their many coupons came in. The only other scale I had was a digital "smart" one that was always auto shutting off. Got tired of hooking everything up and just sitting there wondering Did I do it correctly this time?

Liquid in the tube..okay, that's good. Lift..huh..doesn't feel any heavier. Wait...Lift...still doesn't feel any heavier...Look..is that condensation building up???Life..nope....doesn't feel any heavier..wait..maybe it does..

Scale is on the ground, display is kept at eye level. Use it to weigh my luggage every once in awhile too.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/northern-brewer-grain-scale

Oh...that! It is just a scale I purchased from them a couple of years ago when one of their many coupons came in. The only other scale I had was a digital "smart" one that was always auto shutting off. Got tired of hooking everything up and just sitting there wondering Did I do it correctly this time?

Liquid in the tube..okay, that's good. Lift..huh..doesn't feel any heavier. Wait...Lift...still doesn't feel any heavier...Look..is that condensation building up???Life..nope....doesn't feel any heavier..wait..maybe it does..

Scale is on the ground, display is kept at eye level. Use it to weigh my luggage every once in awhile too.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/products/northern-brewer-grain-scale
Nearest looking scale I never did see !

Kegged my last brew(czech pale lager) I got in before the end of last year. I mashed low but the yeast finished a bit high, it was new kind of malt so not sure if it was the malt or the yeast.

Replaced the filters on my RO filter system and cleaned the housings. The way the first sediment filter looked makes me think I should reconsider drinking the water straight from tap.

Just now moved a ton of crafting stuff into the house, from 1.5 weeks of doing nothing but making things from yarn. TL;DR, but my little grain mill table that I cut holes in happens to be the perfect size for my new circular knitting machines; poor Mighty Mill has been sitting in the corner for quite a bit wondering when it gets to come out and play. Just milled grain for tomorrow's brewday (new job now doesn't start until Monday, oh DARN another week off) that I've put off for too long. Bonus of new hobby/obsession; I have seven new warm hats, three new infinity scarves, and a pair of knitted fingerless gloves to keep me warm during brewday tomorrow (not all at the same time, that would be silly).

Back