Coopers Brewmaster Pilsner kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewNdrink

Reaction score
This is a great little kit if you want to get in the neighborhood of a Pilsen Urquell. Comes with a good dry yeast that can be fermented as low as 13C for a true lager beer.

http://www.coopers.com.au/homebrew/hbrew.php?pid=1&id=122

I use my same basic forumla that seems to work: 1.5 lbs pale malt extract and 1 cup corn sugar added to the kits. For this pilsner, 2 weeks 15-17 C in primary, 1-2 weeks secondary at 21C.

Only complaint... the head retention on this kit doesn't hold up at all (not like the other Coopers kits). Would aging longer help (it's only been 4 weeks). What's that non-sugar stuff some folks add to the beer to help with head retention?

Any suggestions?

Cheers:mug:
Tony.

You can use gum arabic powder which gets added at bottling time. Or steep 1/2# of CaraPils for 30 minutes in 1 gallon of your boil water at 155 before proceeding as usual.

I was wondering about this kit. I usually do AG brews but got a new keezer fridge, and need stuff to fill it quickly. ;) Sounds like it's worth a shot.

- Eric

You can use gum arabic powder which gets added at bottling time. Or steep 1/2# of CaraPils for 30 minutes in 1 gallon of your boil water at 155 before proceeding as usual.

I was wondering about this kit. I usually do AG brews but got a new keezer fridge, and need stuff to fill it quickly. ;) Sounds like it's worth a shot.

- Eric

It's a great kit for the money, if you can get a head on the thing for more than 30 seconds. :)

I'll look into your advice. Thanks.

Tony.

Tony, I've made the kit with the Cooper's Brew Enhancer 1 and Brew Enhancer 2 and I've never noticed any problems with head retention. The time I made it and it turned out the best I made it with the Cooper's brewing Sugar. I haven't tried the recommened 500g Light Dry Malt and 300g Dextrose yet, but thats pretty close to what Brew Enhancer 2 is. I would guess that I let the beers carbonate for 3-4 weeks at room temperature and then another couple of weeks in the fridge before I started to drink them.

Probably not the best to advise you on the head retention because I drink those Cooper's Pilseners as fast as you can pour them practically.

If you really want a head to stand up on your Pilsener, give that 1/2# of CaraPils idea a try. The first All Grain Pilsener I made I used 10# contintental Pilsener and 1/2# CaraPils and that beer had a thick foamy head 2-1/2 inches tall on it. Really tasted good too. Actually I think 1/2# might be a bit much in an All Grain batch, but with a Cooper's Pilsener kit its probably a good place to start.

Have you thought about doing a mini-mash with a Coopers kit ? You know use the Pilsener Can from Cooper's but instead of adding a couple pounds of sugar, just mash 3-4 pounds of Pilsener Malt along with some Carapils and add your Coopers Can at the end of the boil. I did that before with some other Coopers kits and it was excellent - that should get you the head you're looking for and add something to your beer as well.

Probably not the best to advise you on the head retention because I drink those Cooper's Pilseners as fast as you can pour them practically.

LOL! I hear ya there! So far this is the best pilsner beer kit I've tried. I guess I'm being a bit picky with the head not lasting as long.

If you really want a head to stand up on your Pilsener, give that 1/2# of CaraPils idea a try. The first All Grain Pilsener I made I used 10# contintental Pilsener and 1/2# CaraPils and that beer had a thick foamy head 2-1/2 inches tall on it. Really tasted good too. Actually I think 1/2# might be a bit much in an All Grain batch, but with a Cooper's Pilsener kit its probably a good place to start.

Have you thought about doing a mini-mash with a Coopers kit ? You know use the Pilsener Can from Cooper's but instead of adding a couple pounds of sugar, just mash 3-4 pounds of Pilsener Malt along with some Carapils and add your Coopers Can at the end of the boil. I did that before with some other Coopers kits and it was excellent - that should get you the head you're looking for and add something to your beer as well.

Thanks. I will give this a try after the summer dies down and do some experimenting with this kit. Right now I can barely keep up with production, as my buddies come over and ravish my beer stock.

:mug:
Tony.

I've made it and it's in the keg conditioning. I bottled a few and they should be ready to drink in the next week or so... I'll update this post when I pop one...

Yea I brew the cooopers kits too and have tonns of trouble keeping up - I have 2 carboys and they are constantly going with new brews. The pilsner is one of the only ones I havent tried - but this winter I will probley take a crack at it.

I have never had a head problems with my coopers kits - maybe if you let it age in the bottle a little longer the retention will be better - I know sometimes after 3-4 weeks the head is so -so but after 6-8 weeks its just fine.

Cheers

Yea I brew the cooopers kits too and have tonns of trouble keeping up - I have 2 carboys and they are constantly going with new brews. The pilsner is one of the only ones I havent tried - but this winter I will probley take a crack at it.

I have never had a head problems with my coopers kits - maybe if you let it age in the bottle a little longer the retention will be better - I know sometimes after 3-4 weeks the head is so -so but after 6-8 weeks its just fine.

Cheers

Hi Grasshopper. You're right... the head retention is getting better as it ages longer. If you like the bite of a pilsner you'l love this Coopers kit. Next one I want to try is the European lager, but can't find it at any Save-on-foods or other stores. I'd hate to order via mail, but looks like I have no choice to try it.

Do you use a basic forumla to make your Coopers kits? I use 1.5 lbs pale malt extract and 1 cup corn sugar for most of the kits now. 21 C for ales, 19 C for the Mexican cerveza, and 15 C for the Brewmaster Pilsner. Seems to work very well. And dry hopping sometimes.

Cheers :tank:
Tony.

I use a little bit of a different recipe for the different kits - generally i will add between 2-3 # of light malt extract (dark malt extract for the stout) and maybe #1 to 1.5# or dextrose (corn sugar). Also sometimes i add some hop pellets to give it a little extra hoppy flavor. My favorite so far I think is the coopers 'real ale' kit - very nice flavor out of that one.

As far as temps go I brew it at whatever the temp in my basement is. Usually about 18c or so when I can keep it cool - I will try the pilsner in the winter when it is a litle bit cooler. Looking forward to trying it.

OK I tried this kit with 2# of extra light LME. I added too much water :drunk: so it ended up on the light side but it is quite good. Next time around I will try the WLP060 or WLP080 blend and pitch a gigantic starter instead of lagering it... I lagered it with Brewferm lager yeast at 52, and it ended up less clean than I would have gotten just using one of those lager/ale blends at 62.

OK I tried this kit with 2# of extra light LME. I added too much water :drunk: so it ended up on the light side but it is quite good. Next time around I will try the WLP060 or WLP080 blend and pitch a gigantic starter instead of lagering it... I lagered it with Brewferm lager yeast at 52, and it ended up less clean than I would have gotten just using one of those lager/ale blends at 62.

This is so far my favorite Coopers kit. I just used the lager yeast that came with the kit. No problems, though next time I will lower the temp to as low as it can go (13 C) and hopefully get a more clean, dry bite. Maybe some more Sazz hops in the secondary.

This is so far my favorite Coopers kit. I just used the lager yeast that came with the kit. No problems, though next time I will lower the temp to as low as it can go (13 C) and hopefully get a more clean, dry bite. Maybe some more Sazz hops in the secondary.

Ugh, really? The yeast is 5g, which is nowhere near enough for pitching a lager. I pitched 15g of yeast and still had a horribly long lag time. I think the kit is solid, the yeast I used just stank. I just racked the Munich Helles AG I brewed on the same day I did this kit, I used a big starter of WLP830 on it and it is clean as could be, the WLP830 would be a fine yeast to use on this brew.

the WLP830 would be a fine yeast to use on this brew.

yes it would

When I've made this kit, I didn't really have such a big lag time. For one thing, if you make the kit according to the directions the OG will end up about .038, you don't need a huge amount of yeast for a beer that small.

Last time I made it, I pitched the yeast when the wort was pretty cold ( 10C ), and well it did take maybe 20 hours to get going - I guess that was a bit of a lag, but I can live with it. Beer turned out very nice.

Oh and the yeast packet says 7g on it - not 5. Was the 5g packet the Brewfarm yeast you were mentioning ? The Cooper's yeast that comes with the kit is 7g.

Back