Alternative for Wyeast 3725 Bier de Garde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porterguy

Reaction score
Help! I have a Bier de Garde kit calling for Wyeast 3725, which no longer exists.:confused: What would be my best alternative, Wyeast or WLP?

Commercial Examples: Jenlain (brown), St. Amand (brown), Ch'Ti Brun (brown), Ch'Ti Blond (blond), La Choulette (all 3 versions), La Choulette Bière des Sans Culottes (blonde), Saint Sylvestre 3 Monts (blonde), Biere Nouvelle (brown), Castelain (blonde), Jade (amber), Brasseurs Bière de Garde (amber)

Wyeast Strains:
2124 - Bohemian Lager™
3787 - Trappist High Gravity™
1388 - Belgian Strong Ale™
1762 - Belgian Abbey II™
2565 - Kölsch™
1007 - German Ale™
3711 - French Saison

From the Wyeast website style guide for bier de garde.

If it was me I would use either 3787,1388 or 1762.

Phil Markowski suggests

WLP003
WLP029
WLP011
WLP008
WLP001

In that order.

You want a clean ale yeast that can ferment a temps a little lower than normal.

From the Wyeast website style guide for bier de garde.

If it was me I would use either 3787,1388 or 1762.

This sounds a little odd to me. I have tasted a few biere de garde in france and none seemed to have the flavours I would associate with belgian yeasts. But maybe at lower temps they would be OK.

3725 is a seasonal strain, so it does "still exist." It was last released Jan-Mar of this year. Be patient, and they may release it again. I've heard tell that Wyeast may sell some yeasts that aren't currently available if you contact them. Don't know if it's actually true or not.

You can try 1007 or 1728 for a good Biere de Garde. Just ferment cold. I think "Farmhouse Ales" also recommends 1010 if you like one with a slight tanginess. Maybe someone who has the book on hand can chime in with the other recommended yeasts...

3725 is a seasonal strain, so it does "still exist." It was last released Jan-Mar of this year. Be patient, and they may release it again. I've heard tell that Wyeast may sell some yeasts that aren't currently available if you contact them. Don't know if it's actually true or not.

You can try 1007 or 1728 for a good Biere de Garde. Just ferment cold. I think "Farmhouse Ales" also recommends 1010 if you like one with a slight tanginess. Maybe someone who has the book on hand can chime in with the other recommended yeasts...

Just did. Phil Markowski writes farmhouse ales. Sorry should have said before.

I brewed a biere de garde yesterday with WY3711, French Saison, and a pack of brett brux - both in the primary. I don't think you'd get the peppery notes without Saison yeast.

I don't believe Biere de Gardes are known for their peppery notes. Supposed to be clean yeast wise.

Hm, yeah, you're right. The BJCP guidelines state that BdGs should "[lack] the spicing and tartness of a Saison". It appears I made a really malty Saison.

I don't believe Biere de Gardes are known for their peppery notes. Supposed to be clean yeast wise.

Should have a toasty or caramel profile. Although, the style guidelines allow for a slightly higher level of herbal or spicy hop (or possibly yeast) flavor in paler versions. Otherwise, it should have a smooth, well lagered profile.

If you can find it, Schlafly's Biere de Garde is pretty close to a homebrewed version (in that it doesn't have the cellared qualities most commercial examples have).

I've never really understood why saison and biere de garde are compared to each other. They are quite different as far as flavour goes. I think they are just from a similar part of the world.

If you can lager, lager. Something like a wlp830, is perfect for that beer.

I can lager...sort of. I did a Kolsch just iced down in a cooler for three weeks. It was at a pretty steady 33-34 as I just kept changing out blocks of ice. Turned out quite tasty.

thanks, I may whip up another batch of this. SWMBO loves it, and a low ABV option is a good alternative to have around sometimes.

Latest posts

Back