Starter with too high of SG?.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brocster

Reaction score
I began making a starter yesterday for a 10 gallon Kolsch recipe. I am using White Labs Kolsch yeast, and I was planning in creating a 2L starter to split between 2-5.5 gallon fermenters.

I was planning on stepping up over a few days, and last night I started the process. I realized I made a stupid (I think) mistake, probably just too dang tired when I did this.

I used a little over a cup of water and 1/4 cup (not packed) DME. I meant to use 2 cups of water. My SG is probably towards 1.070. I pitched the yeast at midnight last night.

Should I continue on when I get home, just stepping up with some lower SG wort, say 1.030? I was thinking of stepping up a full liter tonight. Or, is my starter toast since it was faced with too many sugars?

Thanks

your starter is not toast. yeast don't die from diabetes. they wouldn't be very good if they did. just continue with what your doing and measure better next time.

Back