really dumb question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I made a robust porter a while back that is VERY good. My home brew buddy loves it.. I like it and so do a couple of friends. I have the recipe EXCEPT for some reason I do not have or remember what yeast I used! It was either s-04...s-05 or nottingham... which one makes more sense for a porter or does it really matter?

Any of those can make a fine porter. If your recipe was based on JZ's he uses the 1056 strain so the 05 would be a reasonable substitute. I've made that recipe and it is a killer RP. In fact I should brew some up again soon for the holiday season. If you wanted a more English ester profile either Nottingham or 04 would be great.

GT

If you can remember, US-05 and Nottingham make very similar looking, oozy, creamy yeast cakes. S-04 will look like a layer of jell-o in comparison.

It's reputed that Chico is a direct descendant of Nottingham (via Ballantine).

OHIOSTEVE, that is a very dumb question. Sometimes I wonder how someone can ask something so DUMB!!! :p

Also, I note that you are from Ohio. So, it's not just a clever name then?

Okay, okay, I kid. I kid because I love!

I think Got Trub? is on the right track. Was it a clean flavor or more of those English flavors?

If you can remember, US-05 and Nottingham make very similar looking, oozy, creamy yeast cakes. S-04 will look like a layer of jell-o in comparison.

It's reputed that Chico is a direct descendant of Nottingham (via Ballantine).

If you can't taste it (and it's a porter so you may not be able to taste the S-04 if it was fermented at a low temp) then that cake at the bottom of the bottle is the way to go! S-04 flocs out like a ton of bricks, if you can pour the bottle out without decanting and you don't get a yeast slug then it's S-04.

Latest posts

Back