I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some expensive opal specimens as well. I have all kinds of minerals and semi-precious gems. I do a little lapidary work as a hobby, and sometimes I sell what I make. Mostly I just collect. A couple of my favorite pieces in the collection are my pieces of Coprolite, which are petrified dinosaur turds.

I also like collecting old tools, but I don't have a lot. Being a carpenter by trade I like planes and levels.

Oh heck I worked in cabinet shops and owned a business installing cabinets in commercial buildings for years. I have pretty much enough tools to build anything with out power now :rockin: But saying that I went to mill 9 pounds of grain the other day by hand and after a few pounds I hooked up my drill and finished it.

Dang I was thinking alot today about my childhood and the toys and things I did and how it differs from kids now. You know I kind of feel blessed in a way that I was kind of poor and lived out in the styx. I did not have TV nor the video games but I had a rich and full life exploring and just being a kid.

My mom rest her soul made me read the bible every night. One spring night I started reading about Samson and Goliath and how he killed Goliath with a sling. Being a typical boy I figured I could make a sling and for months I was flinging rocks all day every day with my sling and I have to tell you I was the terror of all the birds and squirrels in a 2 square mile radius of my house.

All was good until my older brother saw me flinging rocks one day and asked if I was any good with it. Of course I said sure I was fair and he asked if I could hit the transformer for our house some 30 yards away. Now I could hit a squirrel at that range but of course I said I might could. Did I say it was the transformer for our house yet.

Sigh several days of no power and my butt smarting from smoking the transformer they finally got our power going again. But you know in a way I am glad of my upbringing and living my life outdoors. I was a boy and loved to be outside raising heck with the animals and camping out. My life I feel could not have been any better in any way shape or form.

Hmm drunk and reliving the days I guess.

Oh heck I worked in cabinet shops and owned a business installing cabinets in commercial buildings for years. I have pretty much enough tools to build anything with out power now :rockin: But saying that I went to mill 9 pounds of grain the other day by hand and after a few pounds I hooked up my drill and finished it.

Dang I was thinking alot today about my childhood and the toys and things I did and how it differs from kids now. You know I kind of feel blessed in a way that I was kind of poor and lived out in the styx. I did not have TV nor the video games but I had a rich and full life exploring and just being a kid.

My mom rest her soul made me read the bible every night. One spring night I started reading about Samson and Goliath and how he killed Goliath with a sling. Being a typical boy I figured I could make a sling and for months I was flinging rocks all day every day with my sling and I have to tell you I was the terror of all the birds and squirrels in a 2 square mile radius of my house.

All was good until my older brother saw me flinging rocks one day and asked if I was any good with it. Of course I said sure I was fair and he asked if I could hit the transformer for our house some 30 yards away. Now I could hit a squirrel at that range but of course I said I might could. Did I say it was the transformer for our house yet.

Sigh several days of no power and my butt smarting from smoking the transformer they finally got our power going again. But you know in a way I am glad of my upbringing and living my life outdoors. I was a boy and loved to be outside raising heck with the animals and camping out. My life I feel could not have been any better in any way shape or form.

Hmm drunk and reliving the days I guess.

Man, that's a great story!

I used to be pretty good with a slingshot, but never tried that kind of sling.

I'm sure a buyer will come along, v-man. And great story.

I used my new seeder again today and got most of my small garden near the house planted. And actually it's not that small, always produces more than hubby and I can eat and store, enough to sell plenty of extra. Had to order more disks because it didn't come with anything for squash and cucumbers. I have a seeder attachment for my little tractor, but it's a PITA to change out implements. The push seeder is awesome and doesn't require fuel. I'm even going to plant the fields with it. Normally I walk at least 2 miles a day so I'll just walk pushing that thing instead. Figured I if I can push it a mile a day, then get my nephew to go behind me and dress everything with compost, we'll be in business again.

I thought today was Friday most of the day, was looking forward to my tats tomorrow, but realize I got 2 days to wait.

I kept thinking it was friday too!

I wish I had enough space to grow a lot of veggies. I am happy to grow my hops, though. I have one sprout from last years planting that's already climbed about 1.5ft up the trellis. I have a feeling it's going to be a good producer this year.

Dang man do not get me started about what happened after reading Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the sea. Mind you a homemade submarine and a watering hole are not a good combination.

I'm looking forward to hearing the whole story when you get a chance!!!

While cleaning something the other day I had to use rubbing alcohol since I'm out of Everclear. Made me think of dukakis...unlike Everclear which makes me think of weird punch.

Everclear always takes me back to some of those high school parties where in addition to the kegs of beer (how did high school kids get kegs of beer) we would mix up a batch of Everclear and Grape Kool Aid in a large trashcan. Yum. We probably never worried if the trashcan was new or used and just cleaned. And how clean could you get a used trashcan.

Now when I have a beer I don't like, I'll just say, "I've had worse" and its true.

Interesting. I never saw a bottle of Everclear until I could buy my own. I still don't get what the big deal is. It's just a high alcohol neutral distilled spirit. I prefer not to drink it straight, but as a mixer it's not any more dangerous then vodka. You just don't use as much.

I don't drink a lot of hard liquor anymore anyway. I mostly drink my own wine and cider.

I remeber the Everclear Jungle Juice parties, as well. That stuff would sneak up on you.

Up until a few years ago I only drank Jack Daniels. I drank a bottle almost every weekend. I did that for about 10 years. I got tired of BMC after years of drinking it, so I switched to Jack. Then I discovered craft beer and homebrew, and now I rarely drink hard liquor.

It's been a long time since I drank liquor, but this Saturday, some friends coming over with a bottle of whiskey before we hit the tattoo parlor. I just sure hope I come home with what I have wanted, not something crazy.

It's been a long time since I drank liquor, but this Saturday, some friends coming over with a bottle of whiskey before we hit the tattoo parlor. I just sure hope I come home with what I have wanted, not something crazy.

Try not to get too drunk. :)

Aside from the added bleeding, responsible tattoo artists will turn away people who are really drunk. More to avoid the regret of a poor, drunken decision than anything to do with bleeding.

I remember walking around high school with a coffee can clearly marked kegger and the date selling tickets for the parties. As long as you had a keg to trade in they would not ever ask how old you were.

I quit drinking the hard stuff years ago. I have found I like to drink but not get drunk so I have been brewing low alcohol beers now for a very long time. Heck I am a light weight now compared to when I was a kid. Now when I drink bud light I get drunk way to fast simply because I do not drink much any more.

Heck just thinking about it I give away much more beer than I drink. If I was the only one drinking my beer I would not be brewing near as much :(

Try not to get too drunk. :)

Aside from the added bleeding, responsible tattoo artists will turn away people who are really drunk. More to avoid the regret of a poor, drunken decision than anything to do with bleeding.

I might have a shot of whiskey just for the heck of it, but gonna be passing out homebrews, get them drinking that instead. Friends are coming over around noon and my appointment is at 2, so we'll only have about an hour and a half to hang out first. Probably bringing an entourage of drunk friends with me isn't a good idea either.

Going to brew one of my new extract mini-mash kits today, so time for a happy brew day dance.

:ban: :ban:

I might have a shot of whiskey just for the heck of it, but gonna be passing out homebrews, get them drinking that instead. Friends are coming over around noon and my appointment is at 2, so we'll only have about an hour and a half to hang out first. Probably bringing an entourage of drunk friends with me isn't a good idea either.

Going to brew one of my new extract mini-mash kits today, so time for a happy brew day dance.

Just added my batch sparge for my vanilla pumpkin porter - I've definitely been moving slower than I like today (but since I have the day to myself, I don't really care!) I'll join you in that happy brew day dance!

Dang man do not get me started about what happened after reading Jules Verne's 20,000 leagues under the sea. Mind you a homemade submarine and a watering hole are not a good combination.

Vman, We may have swap some stories. I have one about my brothers and I on an old log footbridge that was washed out of a trail after some flooding and how we used for some serious river explorations, among some our other adventures!

Side Note: My folks never knew about the bridge until I was 41 and I was visiting them and we were reminiscing about our Country Days. You should of seen the look on my dear old Mom's face (RIP), it was priceless!

Just added my batch sparge for my vanilla pumpkin porter - I've definitely been moving slower than I like today (but since I have the day to myself, I don't really care!) I'll join you in that happy brew day dance!

Yah! Someone to dance with on brew day! Just set my timer for the one hour boil. Didn't read directions and ended up with my kettle with just over an inch to the top, added my hops and no boil-over, nice.

I considered brewing today, but instead I decided to go get a co2 tank for my new keezer. I also bought a socket so I can make a key for the posts on my pin-lock kegs. After grinding the slots on the socket I might keg my first beverage, which is a gallon of hard apple cider that's been aging a couple months. I'm super excited about kegging, and I can't wait to pull my first pint!

I just pitched my yeast!! Temp was close enough. But now I am wondering, can I just sanitize my hand and arm to retrieve something from the bottom of my fermenter bucket?

I just pitched my yeast!! Temp was close enough. But now I am wondering, can I just sanitize my hand and arm to retrieve something from the bottom of my fermenter bucket?

It's risky. What did you lose down there? I recently lost my micron O2 difuser in a batch. I just waited until I racked on bottling day to retrieve it.

I considered brewing today, but instead I decided to go get a co2 tank for my new keezer. I also bought a socket so I can make a key for the posts on my pin-lock kegs. After grinding the slots on the socket I might keg my first beverage, which is a gallon of hard apple cider that's been aging a couple months. I'm super excited about kegging, and I can't wait to pull my first pint!

That's a good and acceptable reason not to brew! Prost to that first pint! :mug:

I almost always toss the stir bar in when I pitch :drunk: that's why I have three of them now!

Only 3? :) I must have amassed 5 or 6 of them so far, different sizes and types. But I never end up pitching them. It's pretty easy to keep them in the corner of an E-flask without even trying, as long as you actually pour the starter in and don't just simply turn it upside down...

Only 3? :) I must have amassed 5 or 6 of them so far, different sizes and types. But I never end up pitching them. It's pretty easy to keep them in the corner of an E-flask without even trying, as long as you actually pour the starter in and don't just simply turn it upside down...

I've been known to do a dump and run. ;)

And I've bought more than three ... that's all I have left. I've also tossed them out with the trub! :smack:

What did you lose down there?

Lost a stainless steel spoon, tried to use it to stir the kettle but it was too short, then it went from the kettle to the fermenter, I had added the top off water first. I cleaned and sanitized a grabber thing and got it out. :mug:

Friday Night! Party time, late night crew!

I used to listen to this one on 45. Mexico seemed so far away back then, living in Ohio. I never left the states of OH and MI until I was 17. I had no idea then that I'd bury my mother in mexico later in my life (actually, her ashes are in the sea of cortez now).

Last edited by a moderator:
Good song to start the night with, I feel relaxed now.

This afternoon hubby went to see the chicken people without me! And do you know why? Because he wanted to buy more chickens! Came home tonight with 20 more chicks, 3 day old babies. I told him a week ago that if he must have more, please no more than 6. He loves bringing home things for me to do. Bought me a magnolia tree to plant, and because he sees me using a loofah sponge, he bought me seeds to grow some. Says I should start them in pots. Well, at least he keeps me busy and out of trouble.

I was thinking that since it's a PITA to carry off recyclables here, maybe I should use the stuff to create yard art. Driveway is a mile long so no neighbors that can be offended by the hideous(in their eyes) sculptures, but when occasionally friends come by, they will be VERY impressed! Monsters duking it out in the woods, that would be sweet. Or a village of hideous creatures camping out in front of the house, or maybe behind my shed. Giants!

I used to grow loofah. I had some as long as 24 inches. I had new virgin soil back then, and everything I grew was huge. My favorite was tomatoes the size of grapefruits.

Well, I got a lot done today. Got my co2 tank, hooked it up, mounted the air manifold inside of the keezer, and I leak tested everything. No leaks! Then I made my sloted socket to remove the post on my kegs. After I finished that I started stripping down kegs, cleaning them, and replacing O rings. I discovered that most of the poppet O rings are bad, and I forgot to order those. Out of 4 kegs I only ended up with 2 good poppets. So, that left me with one good keg, which is fine since I only have one batch of beer fermenting. I chose not to keg the cider, because I realized I don't have K Sorbate to kill the yeast. Plus I'd rather save the one good keg for my upcoming IPA. I'll order some O rings along with a couple poppets to replace some that were questionable.

On another note... My 7 year old Dwarf Grannysmith Apple tree has more flowers than it's ever had before. I guess the root system has finally established itself enough to make a good amount of fruit. It looks like I'm going to make a lot of hard cider this year.

On another note... My 7 year old Dwarf Grannysmith Apple tree has more flowers than it's ever had before. I guess the root system has finally established itself enough to make a good amount of fruit. It looks like I'm going to make a lot of hard cider this year.

Cool. I didn't know apples grew this far south. Had a tree as a kid, mom made loads of apple stuff. I'm still a avid apple eater.

I got my KegConnection package for my Danby Kegerator build today. Tower, 525SS Faucets, regulator, hoses, oh yeah. Working on a couple cO2 tanks on CL.

Cool. I didn't know apples grew this far south. Had a tree as a kid, mom made loads of apple stuff. I'm still a avid apple eater.
It all started with my apple pie recipe. The family always requests it in the Fall, so I figured I'd grow my own apples for it. Last year the tree made enough apple pie filling for 10 pies. All of the ugly apples that were left ended up becoming a 5 gallon batch of hard cider, which was the best cider I've ever tasted (but I'm biased :)). This year I'm thinking apple jam and apple butter, plus the pies and cider.
I got my KegConnection package for my Danby Kegerator build today. Tower, 525SS Faucets, regulator, hoses, oh yeah. Working on a couple cO2 tanks on CL.
Rock on brother! :mug::ban:

Well you do live in Texas! ;)

That's right! :D

Gods I just rolled in half drunk. I guess I am going to play lumberjack again this summer and start by cutting some fairly big trees in a car lot.

Hehe I am getting paid in beer though and can sell the wood so it will be a good couple of days.

Latest posts

Back