Starsan Loving it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LS_Grimmy

Reaction score
Howdy,

Got myself a 32oz bottle of starsan and tried it for the first time... and may I say god damn how did I live without the stuff before. Sanatizing became so easy it was a joke. I used 1/2oz for my entire brewing day...

Figured I would share my joy, Cheers....
LS_Grimmy

Just got some starsan myself. Started with the 8 oz to try it but I can already see it's great stuff. I used the bottling tree with the vinator. Bottling prep couldn't be easier.

LS_Grimmy said:
Howdy,

Got myself a 32oz bottle of starsan and tried it for the first time... and may I say god damn how did I live without the stuff before. Sanatizing became so easy it was a joke. I used 1/2oz for my entire brewing day...

Figured I would share my joy, Cheers....
LS_Grimmy

Yep, it's great stuff. :)

I can get by with using .2oz for 2 brew days. That stuff goes along way and if prepared and treated well will last a long time stored.

Yeah, it is magical stuff. Really.

One tip, if you didn't know it already -- use reverse osmosis or distilled water to make up your Star San solution. If you make it with tap water, it will go cloud within a few days (or less) because the detergents react with the mineral ions in the water. But with de-ionized water, Star San solution keeps for months. I also reuse the stuff all the time -- say dump a quart in a carboy, swish it all around for a minute, then dump it back into a storage container for next time. As long as it is clear and the pH is 3.0 or less, it is still potent. You can really stretch the use of this stuff, making it a really inexpensive sanitizer.

I picked some up for the first time today and gave it a try on my first batch of apfelwein. I did my best not to "fear the foam," but it did get my heart racing! Assuming I didn't kill my entire batch, I'm going to love using this stuff.

get some straight starsan in a cut LOL works great takes some time getting used to racking beer on a huge layer of bubbles though!

I fill a 3 gallon corny with it and just check the PH every month or so.
Great Stuff.
starsan.jpg

wow, kinda makes me want to switch from iodophor. but heck, ive used 1/3 of the bottle in 1 year.. so i am still not complaining.

67coupe390 said:
I love the star san and the who who despenser!
oh yeah....the who who dispenser. Who could live without that! :fro: Fro man agrees.

I just started using it also, PBW and starsan are great. I have not used with beer yet, just wine but, I know the first time I go to the carboy with my brew and its got foam in it, I'll worry till I taste it. In the past I have filled my carboys up with Idophor to the top on brewday, then poured out right before putting the cooled wort inside. If I can swish a quart of star stan in a clean carboy a few times then pour out and save, it seems like thats the way to go

Latest posts

Back