First Brew Done And Tasted

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan A

Reaction score
Well,

Finally tasted my first brew last night which was a Coopers Lager that came with the whole starter Kit.

I found it was not all that drinkanle and seemed to be very bitter, my wife said she could tasts like a vegemite flavour.

Look like this first attempt will be tossed down the sink :( , although might give it a few more days and try another bottle first.

I definitely would've been too scared to try a lager for my first.

I just brewed my first as well, so unfortunately I dont have much insight. I'm hoping someone comes along and tells you that if you let it sit for a few more weeks it'll be delicious : ) Good luck!

If you have the room, you might think about storing it for a month or two and see if it improves. The bitterness should mild a bit and the vegemite flavour is probably from suspended yeast. Storing them cooler for a few months couldn't hurt!

Listen to these guys! Have patience, grasshopper. You will be AMAZED to see how flavors can change in a matter of weeks. Let it be and go make something else in the meantime. :mug:

My First ever brew was a bitter and was akin to battery acid at first it was that bitter. I went back to it after 8 weeks and it had really mellowed out. If you have the room and don't need the keg right away i'd follow the advice of the guys above. Put it somewhere cool and forget about it till March. :tank:

jer084 said:
I definitely would've been too scared to try a lager for my first.

I just brewed my first as well, so unfortunately I dont have much insight. I'm hoping someone comes along and tells you that if you let it sit for a few more weeks it'll be delicious : ) Good luck!
The kit says lager but I'll bet it came with ale yeast.
Like everyone is saying. Let it sit for some more time. Don't give up on it yet.:mug:
How did you make the kit and what ingredients did you use?

Latest posts

Back