Boiling IC Last 15 Mins vs. Soaking in Sanitizer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thegreatgumbino

Reaction score
Been putting my IC in the kettle the last 15 mins of the boil like most. I don't like that it knocks my boil down and I have to bring it back up again. Seems I lose 5-10 mins doing this.

Just curious why we do it this way rather than soaking the IC in a bucket of Starsan and placing it into the kettle at flameout? Seems like it would save time & aid in the cooling efforts.

I put mine in at flame out. Never had the temp drop below 195, usually holds 200 to 202.

Nothing nasty is going to like those odds.

My vote, drop it in at the end and then cut off the gas. And watch the steam it discharges!

YMMV

I just give mine a quick dunk in starsan just before flameout, no problems.

I also lose my boil, but 5-10\ minutes to get it back seems excessive. Mine is usually back in 2-3. Maybe 5 if it's really cold outside... If I was loosing 10, I'd probably go with starsan too, or just add it at flameout.

I brew on my stove and when I add my 50' IC to my 4gal boil it takes it into the 190s. Takes 10 min to get it back, so I add it before I add hops. Soon as my boil resumes, I add my 60min hops and start the timer. It stays in the boil the whole time.

I might try spraying with starsan and inserting at 0min next time though.

Make sure its not full of water when you drop it in (it probably is if its taking 10min to recover).

Crank the propane up a bit before and drop in slowly. I rarely loose a boil at all doing that.

I don't worry about it. Brewing is fun and should remain that way. A slight deviation in the boil isn't going to hurt.

Run really hot tap water through the chiller before you put it in the pot. I did this last time and it seemed to help. The boil slowed for a minute, but never stopped.

The point is, there's no reason to boil the IC for 15 minutes. What do you suspect is going to be on the chiller that will survive 205F for a couple minutes?

That's my point, just wanted to check my theory. I'm going to change my process from here on out. Thanks to all.

Back