All Grain Brewing Checklist Comments Requestede

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hucklb

Reaction score
I drafted the annexed checklist for use during all grain brewing based on my reading of Palmer and others and the comments made here to make sure i don't miss a step. Your comments and suggested additions/deletions are requested. Thanx for the input. Tom

View attachment Mash Process.pdf

I drafted the annexed checklist for use during all grain brewing based on my reading of Palmer and others and the comments made here to make sure i don't miss a step. Your comments and suggested additions/deletions are requested. Thanx for the input. Tom

Looks good to me, just don't forget to drain your pre-heat water from your mash tun

Realizing everyone has their own preferred process here are my 2 cents:

- with a cooler mash tun, opening and stirring every 15 min is just gonna cause temp loss with no real gain IMO. I vote preheat the tun well, stir the crap out of it the first time getting everything uniform, then leave it alone
- also IMO a mash out with batch sparging is unnecessary. In the 10 minutes you're doing your mash out you could have already had the first runnings heating in the kettle.
- it's a good idea to either measure the first runnings directly, or calculate the first runnings volume accurately (using known values for grain absorption and your tun deadspace) so you can batch sparge with exactly the amount you need. Dumping in extra water and leaving it behind when batch sparging is going to cost you efficiency points.
- you don't need to let it sit for 15 minutes with the batch sparge. You're just rinsing off the sugars, stir the bejesus out of it then vorlauf if you want and drain away.
- make sure to really mix the first and second runnings well before taking your preboil gravity and adjusting anything. It's easy to get a false reading from not getting the denser first wort mixed in with the second runnings.

have fun and good luck with it!
:mug:

Realizing everyone has their own preferred process here are my 2 cents:

- with a cooler mash tun, opening and stirring every 15 min is just gonna cause temp loss with no real gain IMO. I vote preheat the tun well, stir the crap out of it the first time getting everything uniform, then leave it alone
- also IMO a mash out with batch sparging is unnecessary. In the 10 minutes you're doing your mash out you could have already had the first runnings heating in the kettle.
- it's a good idea to either measure the first runnings directly, or calculate the first runnings volume accurately (using known values for grain absorption and your tun deadspace) so you can batch sparge with exactly the amount you need. Dumping in extra water and leaving it behind when batch sparging is going to cost you efficiency points.
- you don't need to let it sit for 15 minutes with the batch sparge. You're just rinsing off the sugars, stir the bejesus out of it then vorlauf if you want and drain away.
- make sure to really mix the first and second runnings well before taking your preboil gravity and adjusting anything. It's easy to get a false reading from not getting the denser first wort mixed in with the second runnings.

have fun and good luck with it!
:mug:
Good advice.

Brew on :mug:

Back