Recipe discrepancy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tastytasty

Reaction score
Hi all. First post, first brew :) I have a recipe I've been following for a "Liberty Bay IPA". I noticed some of the directions differ a bit from what general beer brewing instructions say, particularly the timeline. The timelines I've seen say you should ferment in primary fermenter for 3-4 days or until fermentation slowed. My recipe says to keep for 10 days, which I did. What I'm curious about is that the recipe says to leave in secondary fermenter for 2 more weeks, whereas other timelines say 14 days total. Suggestions?

Also, I bought a hop bag to dry hop (1 oz columbus). The guy at the brew shop said he prefers adding the hops in directly, which I did. But now looking at the timeline I'm wondering if the hop bag it called for is because it's sitting so long in the secondary fermenter...

Thanks!

Finish fermenting in primary (check FG) and then rack to seconday only if you are going to dry hop. If not follow the above advice. Seconday dry hop for 5 to 7 days then bottle. I would not dry hop for that long (14 days is too long). You need to finish your ferment in primary before you move it to secondary (important). 3 to 4 days is probably not long enough.

I already racked to the secondary since the recipe said to after 10 days. I've dry hopped with some columbus. How long should I leave it in before bottling/kegging? Five to 7 days from now?

How was your temp control and how much yeast did you pitch? If it was consistent and not too warm, you can just take a little taste every few days. When you have the right amount of dry hop flavor just cold crash and bottle or keg. 10 days on the yeast cake and 5+ days in secondary might be plenty.

My temperature has stayed consistently around 70 degrees within +/- 3 degrees. I pitched one package of Wyeast 1056 American Ale Yeast. Thanks for the info, this is super helpful!

It would be hard to tell without knowing OG and FG and how much yeast was needed but one pack may not been enough for ten days. You will be ok you still made beer and that is what matters. Dry hop for taste and enjoy YOUR beer (you made it :D). Next time remember to check you FG and to make positive you pitch enough yeast and it may even be better beer. Like I said you made been and enjoy it.

Back