Kettle caramelization question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Brewing my 80 schilling this weekend and plan on pulling off a gallon of wort for caramelization . Being a indoor brewer any space on my stove is prime property and it will be a double brew day. Should I use my banjo burner for the gallon outdoors? What is every ones experience regarding time with kettle caramelization?

Brewing my 80 schilling this weekend and plan on pulling off a gallon of wort for caramelization . Being a indoor brewer any space on my stove is prime property and it will be a double brew day. Should I use my banjo burner for the gallon outdoors? What is every ones experience regarding time with kettle caramelization?

I've never done it, but it seems you could pause the boil and caramelize the wort you set aside and then go back to boiling the wort. It will take longer that way, but it's an option.

It takes a lot longer than you think. Also you have to stay with it or it will go to far very quickly.

If you do it outside on your burner, then be prepared to stay with it. Once it starts to get going it happens fast. It requires constant stirring or it will burn.

Typically, it takes about 40 minutes for me to boil down 3 liters to about a half liter of syrup. You can let it boil for the first 20 minutes just fine, but the last 10 to 15 minutes you need to be stirring constantly or you will scorch the wort.

What I do is remove about 5 liters from a 20 liter batch, boil down 3 and then slow the melanoidin reactions by adding back the last two liters. This also dilutes the syrup back into a thick wort which will pour cleanly from the pot.

I used a 120 minute full wort volume boil for my last Scottish Wee Heavy and the kettle caramelization was like nothing I was able to achieve using Crystal malt. The beer turned out over 8% abv, sweet, malty and it has been cold conditioning for 7 months now. I plan to sample it in another 5 months or so.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys! Looks like its going to be a balmy 53 degrees Saturday so I may just do everything stove top and turn the heater off for the house. Plus having scorched wort sounds like a horrible waste of time and effort. Going to apply my Cajun roux stirring arm for this one.

Latest posts

Back