recipe help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I have made this beer 4 times now and really like it. However I am in search of a big malty smooth beer. This has a bit of bitterness NOT from the hops obviously. What can I add or subtract to smooth this out and make it "chewier" lol. It has a lot of the taste I am looking for so would like to build on this.

9 lb-two row
12 oz- special b
8 oz- crystal 40
2 oz- roasted black barley
HOPS
.5 oz nugget@ 60
.5 oz nugget @ 45
.5 oz centenniel @ 15
.5 oz cascade @ 5
mashed at 152 degrees

I'm not sure what you're asking. If it's bitter, but not from the hops, it must be from the grainbill. But nugget hops can be very harsh, and I'd not rule out the nugget at 45 minutes as being a cause of some bitterness that is too much. An ounce of nugget for bittering is a lot!

I'm not sure what you're asking. If it's bitter, but not from the hops, it must be from the grainbill. But nugget hops can be very harsh, and I'd not rule out the nugget at 45 minutes as being a cause of some bitterness that is too much. An ounce of nugget for bittering is a lot!

ok so what would you suggest YOOP? less nugget or replace em with a milder hops?

Thanks to boyh of you. No Yoop only beer calculus...ok I will look into a milder hop

By chewier, i am going to assume more mouthfeel? You could raise your mash temp up by 5 degrees. You could also try a lower attenuating yeast - it will be sweeter which may help conceal some bitterness. You could also play around with some maltodextrin.

By chewier, i am going to assume more mouthfeel? You could raise your mash temp up by 5 degrees. You could also try a lower attenuating yeast - it will be sweeter which may help conceal some bitterness. You could also play around with some maltodextrin.
I thought about taking the mash temp to 158. gonna brew a porter tomorrow then maybe this recipe ( adjusted) tues or wed.

Back