Making a starter for dry yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Professor Frink

Reaction score
I know that a starter isn't necessary for dry yeast, but here's the skinny - I don't trust my starter of Pacman, I think it's contaminated. I have one package of Nottingham, but I need to split it between my buddy and I tomorrow. Are there any detrimental effects of making a starter with dry yeast?

my 2 cents: If I were going to do so, I would let it ferment out fully then split the remaining cake between the two beers but that ain't going to happen by tomorrow.....off to the LHBS for another pack of yeast. This is one reason why some spare packs of dry yeast in the fridge are cheap insurance.

his is one reason why some spare packs of dry yeast in the fridge are cheap insurance.

+1 on that!!!! I keep a pile of yeast in the fridge just in case I get the itch to brew and the LBHS is closed (sunday). Plus, crap like this happens and you're prepared. And dry yeast will last for a long time. :rockin:

my 2 cents: If I were going to do so, I would let it ferment out fully then split the remaining cake between the two beers but that ain't going to happen by tomorrow.....off to the LHBS for another pack of yeast. This is one reason why some spare packs of dry yeast in the fridge are cheap insurance.

Yeah, I wish I had stocked up, but I won't be able to get to the LHBS tomorrow. My only real option is the one pack of Notty.

From Mr. Malty:

Many experts suggest that placing dry yeasts in a starter would just deplete the reserves that the yeast manufacturer worked so hard to build into their product. For dry yeasts, just do a proper rehydration in tap water, do not make a starter.

:mug:Ther's probably enough yeast cells in a half pack of Nottinghams to do both. I brew up 7.5 gal. batches and 1 pack very much so needs a blowoff.:mug:

So it turned out my buddy had a slurry of White Labs Essex Ale, so I just used that instead and let him use the Notty. It will actually work out great, since I'll just pitch my mild onto that next weekend.

Back