Show us your sculpture or brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's my newly found Craigslist steal...All electric HERMS mashtun and HLT. 5500 watt heating element, copper herms coil, sabco false bottom. Just finished wiring a dedicated 30 amp, 220 volt circuit for it today. This system allows me to use my existing brewpot and burners. First brewday on it is scheduled for this week sometime. I can't wait!
brewery.jpg

nice find, you have more details on your setup? what did you pay for it too?

Thanks Humann Brewing! I got it for 900 and it included an extra keg, a brand new counterflow chiller, and a bunch of spare parts. The guy who built it took excellent care of it so its still in great shape and he even included a folder with all the original manuals and detailed instructions on how to use it.
Basically I'm able to do all my mashing and sparging inside, collect my wort in my boil kettle and then I simply carry it outside for the boil. I did two batches on it this week and it works pretty well, although I had some issues with not running the pump fast enough during the mash and it caused the heating element to overheat the water for a few minutes. Its just a learning curve I have to overcome.

That paint job rocks. I would put some pin stripes on it to kick it up a notch.

That paint job rocks. I would put some pin stripes on it to kick it up a notch.
I have the pin striping paint, just waiting until after my first brew to see how the paint holds up. The black is 500 degree engine paint but the rest is regular Krylon. The black extends to the horizontal beam and I think the regular paint is low enough that it won't be subjected to extreme temps.
I agree, the flames are great, but you really need a better set of rims and tires;)
:mug: Looking at some spinners :rockin:

Awesome pics, Chipster. Great paint job, and I love the silicone tubing and sanitary stainless fittings all over the place. Looks very professional, good work.

Mine is finally complete and as you can see from the photos, fully tested and delicious. I can't thank you guys enough for all the insight, ideas, and footsteps you put down before me. This is your guys' rig (no, you can't have it).

WTiUMl.jpg

Glowing red with awesomeness.
xzUaml.jpg

Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale.
uvsdXl.jpg

Mine is finally complete and as you can see from the photos, fully tested and delicious. I can't thank you guys enough for all the insight, ideas, and footsteps you put down before me. This is your guys' rig (no, you can't have it).
I love those burners, I originally bought those for mine but thought they would be too much for the 5 gallon batches I brew.

Congrats on the build and I agree, every here really helped with mine :tank:

Here is my stainless and wood brew sculpture. The frame started life as a control panel support for food processing equiptment. I added the casters, wood floor and shelf. The burner stands are screwed down for safefy and the stand is very stable. I plan to add a sight glass to the HTL and some copper plumbling to make filling it easier. I use the large aluminum disk on top of the HTL as a heat shield to protect the painted aluminum garrage door. Makes a nice lid also to keep the dust out between uses. Let me know if you have any questions.

0502.JPG

051.JPG

0541.JPG

Here is my stainless and wood brew sculpture. The frame started life as a control panel support for food processing equiptment. I added the casters, wood floor and shelf. The burner stands are screwed down for safefy and the stand is very stable. I plan to add a sight glass to the HTL and some copper plumbling to make filling it easier. I use the large aluminum disk on top of the HTL as a heat shield to protect the painted aluminum garrage door. Makes a nice lid also to keep the dust out between uses. Let me know if you have any questions.

Nice!

How big is the opening on the HLT? Could you cut the disk to sit directly on the lip? Since you aren't bringing the water (liquor if you want to be stingy on the correct terminology :D) to boiling, a closed lid will help retain heat. Also, how hot does the wood below the HLT burner get? It looks like there's a bottom plate on the burner, but does the wood still get hot?

Nice!

How big is the opening on the HLT? Could you cut the disk to sit directly on the lip? Since you aren't bringing the water (liquor if you want to be stingy on the correct terminology :D) to boiling, a closed lid will help retain heat. Also, how hot does the wood below the HLT burner get? It looks like there's a bottom plate on the burner, but does the wood still get hot?

I made the disk oversized because I thought part of the heat affecting the garrage door was come up the outside of the HTL from the burner. May be overkill, but time will tell.

I added the bottom plate on the burner after my first brew day with this setup. The wood under the burner got very hot. I acctually kept a wet rag on it while the burner was on. It got so hot that you could not touch the wood. With the bottom plate added, it now just gets warm. I'm hoping more heat is deflected to the HTL and it will be more effecient.

I made the disk oversized because I thought part of the heat affecting the garrage door was come up the outside of the HTL from the burner. May be overkill, but time will tell.

Yeah, that makes sense. I wasn't thinking about the heat coming up the outside.

I added the bottom plate on the burner after my first brew day with this setup. The wood under the burner got very hot. I acctually kept a wet rag on it while the burner was on. It got so hot that you could not touch the wood. With the bottom plate added, it now just gets warm. I'm hoping more heat is deflected to the HTL and it will be more effecient.

Keep an eye on the wood. If it's still getting warm, it could eventually start to char. My stand is made of wood, and I may have to replace the top burner supports due to charring. It's not bad yet, but it's definitely getting brown.

Well mine is very simple. The wife wants to brew but she is a tiny little thing so I had to do what I had to do to get a quick gravity feed system going so she doesn't have to deal with any heavy lifting. Considering how my set up has changed these 11 months, I don't see it staying in this state for too long, but it's a start.

Brewstand_21.jpg

Well mine is very simple. The wife wants to brew but she is a tiny little thing so I had to do what I had to do to get a quick gravity feed system going so she doesn't have to deal with any heavy lifting. Considering how my set up has changed these 11 months, I don't see it staying in this state for too long, but it's a start.

1457-brewstand.jpg

Can't see the pic.

Paid members must have either a gallery setting or one place where everyone can see pics and another where only paid members can see, because every so often someone posts a picture in their gallery that I can't see.

If my wife wanted to brew and asked for the damn thing to be gold plated, I'd do it. Good on you for taking the time to design with her in mind. So, if you sit back, with a cold one, and watch while she brews, is that beer voyeurism?

We feed ours to the chickens and duck they love it!!! Got to keep the dog away or he will eat it too :mug:
Careful feeding it to animals if you FWH (first wort hop) and have hops in the mash too. Some animals (most notably some dogs) do not do well eating hops. Otherwise its excellent food for them!

Kal

We feed ours to the chickens and duck they love it!!! Got to keep the dog away or he will eat it too :mug:

I feed some spent grain to my dog. A neighbor takes a couple of pounds to make dog treats for their dog. Whenever I brew I can count on the dog staying close by.

Latest posts

Back