Ginger beer from scratch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendog15

Reaction score
Here's a great recipe for ginger beer. I got it from Imbibe magazine.

Ingredients
4 oz fresh ginger, roughly peeled and coarsely chopped
2 quarts water
1 cup Demerara sugar
1 tbsp molasses
3/4 cup fresh lemon (or lime) juice
1/2 gram champagne yeast. (About 1/4 tsp)

Tools
Blender
Large pot
Wooden spoon
Funnel
Grain bag or cheesecloth
Plastic 2-liter bottle

1- in a blender, pulse the ginger with 1 quart water until roughly puréed.
2- Combine the ginger-water, sugar and molasses in a large pot over medium-high heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Remove from the heat and let cool to just slightly warmer than room temperature.
3- Line a funnel with a grain bag or hop bag, or cheesecloth, and use it to strain the liquid in batches into a plastic 2-liter bottle, squeezing the grain bag or cheesecloth to extract as much liquid as possible.
4- Add the lemon juice and remaining quart of water until the liquid level is about 3 inches from the top (this may not require the full quart). Sprinkle the yeast on top of the liquid in the bottle.
5- Carefully squeeze the bottle until the liquid comes to the neck, then screw the cap on tightly. Let the bottle sit at room temperature for 12 hours, or until the bottle feels firm when squeezed.
6- Once the bottle is firm, transfer to the refrigerator. Keep the ginger beer refrigerated and drink within one week.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brewers note- I double this recipe and it fills 22 8-oz bottles.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back