SYRACUSE NY - ROUND 3 Group Grain Buy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Splits requested:
Jhenderson
1. c20 (GW-C20) - 1/4 needs 2 people (brewdiver)
2. White Wheat (jhenderson to specify which) - 1/3 needs 1 people (WPStrassburg)
3. Rice hulls 1/4 needs 3
BrewsCampbell
1. Canadian Malting's Rye Malt (CM-RYEM) - 1/4 Needs 2 (WPStrassburg)
CidahMastah
1. GP-FLWHT - Flaked wheat - 1/4 needs 2 (Jhenderson)

If you want cidah you can see if.strass wants in on flaked wheat. If he does maybe we can make it 1/3 for each of.us on it as i think id now.rather have.flaked.instead of white.

Having not done any AG batches yet, will I really need rice hulls? If so I'll go in for the 1/4 split. I'm also debating some wheat. This thread is expensive :)

Im getting the rice hulls.for a cover my ass deal for.doing a wheat beer. Otherwise ive never had the.need. if you want take my 1/3 of white wheat and im gonna jump on the flaked wheat as i just niticed the recipe im doing calls for that

Im getting the rice hulls.for a cover my ass deal for.doing a wheat beer. Otherwise ive never had the.need. if you want take my 1/3 of white wheat and im gonna jump on the flaked wheat as i just niticed the recipe im doing calls for that

I will put you down for the flaked wheat.

I noticed a lot of the witbiers and wheats use flaked wheat... and it can't be easily substituted, and is supposed to contribute significantly to the styles. My wife loves those styles so I figured eh, I will help the order out and help out my wife's chances of be brewing her stuff she likes :)

Your white wheat - which one are you looking at? I believe it is the same at the what I bought another bag off in this order (BZ-WHT). I could be totally wrong here, but I thought there were two main wheats used, white first and foremost and red. Red being slightly darker, not much flavor difference.

Post up the exact product you are looking for so I can check it out.

Stuck sparges suck - I haven't had one yet *just cursed my next brew session*, but I know from brewing hefe and wit, your mash is like porridge - lots of particulate and gummy. the rice hulls are worht using.

Take me off for white wheat. Ill either take 1/3 or 1/2 flaked wheat. Whichever it ends up being im fine for.

ok cool - I think I should bump it to 1/3. Looks like the qty used per batch is decent. i.e. I think you will go through it.

Just re-read your post Jhenderson - I got lost there for a bit, so sorry. I put the offer out there for 1/3 of the flaked wheat to strass in a PM - if he is interested we can split three ways. If not, we can bump it to 1/2 share each - does that work for you?

EDIT - we are in for 1/3 shares with Strass

OK FYI Status - 39 Bags

Here are the splits:
I was confused about the white wheat comment from jhenderson and i though jhenderson was asking me to jump on it - he was talking to twogunz. So let me clarify - some recipes use white wheat, some used flaked, some use both. Hope my comments didn't scare anybody off white wheat (hell I am buying another full bag this order in addition to the flaked). If anyone wants in on the white wheat, strass is still down - let me know

B]Splits requested:[/B]
Jhenderson
1. c20 (GW-C20) - 1/4 needs 2 people (brewdiver)
WPStrassburg
1. White Wheat - 1/3 needs 2 people
BrewsCampbell

Having not done any AG batches yet, will I really need rice hulls? If so I'll go in for the 1/4 split. I'm also debating some wheat. This thread is expensive :)

By the way - great to hear you are taking the plunge.

I think you will really like it. Most of the guys on this thread have been brewing for a 1-3 years and most of the guys recently started doing all grain when the first bulk order went out just like you are doing.

Seems like everybody who took the risk, has been coming back for more.

Come on people, get on this rye! It lends a wonderful subtle spiciness. A friend uses liberal amounts in his house ipa and it's quite delicious. Don't fear the rye!

Also, come on Cidah, it's the only thing you haven't bought, haha.

sadly unless cidah has not used all his up from last time, he went halfs on a sack with me last time, so im not sure if he wants anymore.. hahaha its alot of rye, im trying to figure out ways to use it up.

Come on people, get on this rye! It lends a wonderful subtle spiciness. A friend uses liberal amounts in his house ipa and it's quite delicious. Don't fear the rye!

Also, come on Cidah, it's the only thing you haven't bought, haha.

I would be all over the tye but I have a lot - did a double batch of denny conn's wry smile IPA and going to be carbing it this sat - can't wait. Someone else should jump on it - but I am out for this one :)

haha - go big or go home right? haha

I want to brew every damn style! :mug:

Eff it make it a bag of maris otter...... I hate you people you're making me spend money

MO is so worth it. Spring for the T-F.

Say, could you throw a couple one pound packages of Dark Candi Dark belgian sugar on there for me? I've been having a bear of a time finding it and I have a quad i want to make soon and age all summer.

BrewsCampbell said:
MO is so worth it. Spring for the T-F.

Say, could you throw a couple one pound packages of Dark Candi Dark belgian sugar on there for me? I've been having a bear of a time finding it and I have a quad i want to make soon and age all summer.

If you're in a pinch or just want to do it anyways, you can make candi sugar on your stove top pretty easily. I just started making some and my first quad just finished fermenting this week. There's a really good thread on here with some candi sugar experiments.

TwoGunz said:
If you're in a pinch or just want to do it anyways, you can make candi sugar on your stove top pretty easily. I just started making some and my first quad just finished fermenting this week. There's a really good thread on here with some candi sugar experiments.

I could, but I'd really prefer this d2 that I've heard so much about.

BrewsCampbell said:
I could, but I'd really prefer this d2 that I've heard so much about.

Yeah, at some point I'll have to compare a brew made with bought syrup vs homemade. I signed up for a free/beta sample of a new US syrup a HBT'er is starting up a company to sell. I was never crazy about Belgian dark strongs until recently now I'm hooked bad. Saturday I'll be sharing some Westvleteren 12s with my brother to celebrate my 30th birthday :)

TwoGunz said:
Yeah, at some point I'll have to compare a brew made with bought syrup vs homemade. I signed up for a free/beta sample of a new US syrup a HBT'er is starting up a company to sell. I was never crazy about Belgian dark strongs until recently now I'm hooked bad. Saturday I'll be sharing some Westvleteren 12s with my brother to celebrate my 30th birthday :)

Wow, can I come!?! I hope to make a trip around belgium and make a stop at the monastery westvleteren is made.

Also, if you've never read Brew Like a Monk, it really instills a passion for and a knowledge of monastic brewing that can't be found short of a 2500 mile trip.

So I am coming in late on this - but it looks like

jhenderson - MO and 1/3 carapils
Stunsm - 1/3 carapils

Is that right?

BrewsCampbell said:
Wow, can I come!?! I hope to make a trip around belgium and make a stop at the monastery westvleteren is made.

Also, if you've never read Brew Like a Monk, it really instills a passion for and a knowledge of monastic brewing that can't be found short of a 2500 mile trip.

I haven't read BLAM but I'd really like to and will buy it at some point probably. I brought the westys home from Amsterdam a couple months ago and have been dying to try some. A trip around Belgium would be great. Work has brought me to Brussels twice but I didn't venture outside of the city.

I haven't read BLAM but I'd really like to and will buy it at some point probably. I brought the westys home from Amsterdam a couple months ago and have been dying to try some. A trip around Belgium would be great. Work has brought me to Brussels twice but I didn't venture outside of the city.

My jealousy runs red. Even the chocolates in Brussels are to die for (maybe even the fries and mayo), so says my sister-in-law.

I hear there are a few bars in Brussels that will sell Westies at largely inflated prices. Could be worth a word to the barkeep next time you're in town to see if they'd part with one. That being said, "market value" according to "BLAM" (love the accronym, btw) for 12's is about 40 Euros, which is about a million bones US, if i calculate my exchange rate properly.

maybe a group trip.. for a discount hahahhahahaha.... that sounds really good right now.

jhenderson - your a beast!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry for eavesdropping, but I wanted to let you know that Briess has a policy that will not allow North Country Malt to sell Briess grains to homebrewers. We just found this out with our own bulk order a couple weeks ago and had to remove or swap all Briess malts for something else.

BrewsCampbell said:
My jealousy runs red. Even the chocolates in Brussels are to die for (maybe even the fries and mayo), so says my sister-in-law.

I hear there are a few bars in Brussels that will sell Westies at largely inflated prices. Could be worth a word to the barkeep next time you're in town to see if they'd part with one. That being said, "market value" according to "BLAM" (love the accronym, btw) for 12's is about 40 Euros, which is about a million bones US, if i calculate my exchange rate properly.

I bought them for something like 12-14 euros I think at a beer store in Amsterdam (the cracked kettle), was a really cool place. The excursion was almost a complete tragedy though when my bottles all almost broke. In the end I only lost a westy 8 ( still sad) and a roch 10

Sorry for eavesdropping, but I wanted to let you know that Briess has a policy that will not allow North Country Malt to sell Briess grains to homebrewers. We just found this out with our own bulk order a couple weeks ago and had to remove or swap all Briess malts for something else.

Thanks walker - I think we will see more and more of this crap going forward; homebrewers getting cut out of the bulk stuff that is...

cidah, so if that carapilz is no go, is there another one on the list, i cant really seem to find one.. i saw ~Best Caramel Malt Pils~, but im not sure if that is the same exact thing.

OK looks like one bag to go.

Bigbrew - based on walker's info - you need to sub out your briess products - let us know what you what to chance out for.

Everyone - please check the status fo your order. For carapils I subbed it out to BZ-CRPL instead of briess. (looks like I will dodge bries malts in the LHBS in the future when possible - suckers...)

Thanks!

REMAINING Splits requested:
Jhenderson
1. c20 (GW-C20) - 1/4 needs 1 (brewdiver, gergelgat)
WPStrassburg
1. White Wheat - 1/3 needs 2 people
BrewsCampbell

I will give another couple days for someone to jump in on stuff - feel like I have gotten my share. However if we need to close the order out I will buy in on the C20. So if you really want something - get it now or work your persuasive skills to get people on your split.

cidah, so if that carapilz is no go, is there another one on the list, i cant really seem to find one.. i saw ~Best Caramel Malt Pils~, but im not sure if that is the same exact thing.

It looks the same to me - or the UK version of it. Check the descriptions. I think I saw one other one in there, maybe TF - or something - but I like BZ so that is what I will do for my bag - advise if you want to take another brand and I will switch it up.

Latest posts

Back