Dry hopping my ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jknapp

Reaction score
I'm thinking about dry hopping a batch of ESB - is that off style or weird in any way?

I didn't use all the Tettnang & Willamette (purchased in 2oz increments) for the boil, so I figure why not..

I'm assuming that the dry hop aroma won't affect the maltiness/sweetness, since its not a bitter vs sweet, but there probably is some perceived hoppyness from the dry hop aroma.

Does anyone also dry hop their ESB's?

Thanks!

I don't believe you'll be in style if you do it, but does it matter? Give it a shot and see how it turns out. You can always dry hop 1/2 of it, or a gallon just to test out the concept.

I have an ESB dry hopping right now, and I used honey malt and a pilsen base for it.... the style guidelines don't matter a bit..we are homebrewers..do what ever you want!

10 pound pilsen malt
1 pound aromatic
1 pound honey malt

1 oz cascade FWH
1 oz cascade at 20 mintes
1/2 oz EKG at 15
1/2 oz EKG at 15
1 oz cascade dry hop

S-04 dry ale yeast

OG = 1.065, FG = 1.019

34 IBU...should be tasty...and well balanced with nice hop aroma.

it is going to be delicious....I say dry hop it man!

I would do something like a quarter or half ounce (per 5 gal) at the most if you intend to drink it soon (within the next month). I find my dry-hopped beers to be quite grassy for quite a while - I usually do a full ounce and wait a couple months before drinking.

helped my buddy do a redhook esb clone which called for dry hopping... came out great.

dry hopped 1 oz fuggles for 4 days

Yeah yeah. I like what I'm hearing - especially the dry hop only a portion of the batch. I'll get me a gallon glass jug and dry hop that as a test.

I don't know why I didn't think of it. Thanks!

I thought many English bitters were dry hopped? Don't most real ales there get dry hopped in the keg while they are conditioned? I would especially think the sort of spicy aroma from Willamette would go well with an ESB.

Back