Got a new (and full) Coke keg w pin lock - weird pressure relief valve???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dna_alexov

Reaction score
Total newb here (but hooked). I recently bought a 4-tap beer tower for my bar and now have 4 kegs. I plan to have one beer, one wine (sparkling of course due to the co2), one cooler, and now one Coke for mixed drinks. I got a bud that works for Coke, and I was able to buy a new and full Coke keg. It is one of those shorter/wider ones with pin locks.

I'm not concerned about the pin lock as I can get the adapters for it. But it has a weird pressure relief valve. Unlike my other kegs, it does not have a pull to relieve the pressure - rather it has a few small holes throughout but nothing to pull. My bud said believes that Coca-Cola has a some special tool that fits into the holes to relieve the presure and he also thinks the valve is set to a fixed pressure (anything higher will bleed out)?

Does anyone know anything about these valves? What pressure are they good until they start to bleed? Is there a tool to relieve the pressure?

Thanks

As far as I know pin locks don't have pressure relief valves. I just push on the gas side poppet to release pressure. No special tool, just my fingernail or a screwdriver.

Mine had a yellow plastic thing and it appeared you could push it in to make it work, it's threaded from the inside.

Mine had a yellow plastic thing and it appeared you could push it in to make it work, it's threaded from the inside.

I had one that had that same thing. It was leaking though, and I couldn't get it out without breaking it, so I went to my LHBS and they gave me a new lid for $5.

I just relieve pressure through the gas valve like stated above. I dont use a fingernail though as it is kinda tough sometimes. I just use something pointy... screwdriver or something.

The type of lid you are referring to is commonly called a type 3. It has an automatic pressure release at like 125psi. As previously stated the best and easiest way to release pressure is on the gas side. I like these mainly because I follow the Reinheitsgebot, using DME in the keg. The pull release on lid is just one more place for infection to hide or for a potential leak to arise.

I just relieve pressure through the gas valve like stated above. I dont use a fingernail though as it is kinda tough sometimes. I just use something pointy... screwdriver or something.

Handy little gadget:

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/pin-lock-depressurizer-plastic.html

pin-lock-depressurizer-plastic.jpg

Back