Is It Common...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zixxer10R

Reaction score
...that when you finally get controlled fermentation temps via a freezer/controller set up that you start having less vigorous fermentation periods? I don't make starters, but that's just out of laziness. When i was using a rudimentary swamp cooler set up i was always surprised that the lid of my fermentor wasn't blown off in my absence. Now i barely have any violent fermentation activity, but everything is still coming out normal.

Depends on the temp. I don't get anything violent under 64F even with a 3L starter. But with a low temp, I think you are more likely to get a stuck fermentation if you underpitch.

No stuck ferms yet. I've got the controller set on 65 with a +/- of 2 degrees before it kicks on.

No, some of my most violent fermentations were with constant temperatures in the mid 60s.

The fermentation does depend on temperature, but also on things like this:
Health of the yeast
Strain of the yeast
Proper aeration
Proper yeast count

I have noticed less vigorous fermentations once I got to the mid 60's. Blow-off is still possible, depending on the ingredients, though.

I have an imperial IPA in the primary right now, used a 2L starter with wyeast 1056 and kept the temps between 62-67 degrees. Anything higher than 70 I imagine i would have needed a blow off. Seems like with the ale yeasts if you keep them in the 60s you will have a nice steady fermentation as long as you pitch enough yeast.

I get longer steadier ferms with my controlled temps set ups than I did in a room in the house. I set them to 67 +/- 1.
I finally had my first blowup in ten years (on and off) brewing last week. A 1.08 SG that I kind of overfilled the carboy, pitched a little warmer (72) than normal and made a starter with 1-1/2 packs of yeast (S05). Didn't blow the airlock off but it sure blew a mess all in the mini fridge and out the side to the floor. And it's still going after 8 days, slower now, but still going steady.

Latest posts

Back