Is my regulator toast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrooveTree

Reaction score
I started leaking Co2 a couple months ago. I have not been able to find the leak until tonight. I decided to turn tank and regulator upside down and submerge it in a cooler. I'm getting a bubble about every minute. This is a video of a bubble. This seems to be coming from a hole (that looks machined and normal). It is located on the underside of the +/- knob to turn the pressure up or down. Is this actually my leak? Any way to repair it if it is?

https://youtu.be/i7G3gaC7Dgg

TIA!

For CO2 to escape from the bonnet side of the regulator the diaphragm would have to be breached or not sealing properly to the regulator body. If the regulator has some miles on it I'd suspect the diaphragm is cracked.

Looks like a Micromatic regulator, so you should be able to get a rebuild kit for it...

Cheers!

Upside-down in that video it's dead ringer for my Micromatic.
Anyway, check with Midwest to see if they sell a rebuild kit for it...

Cheers!

btw...it's not a lock that you have an actual gas leak in that regulator.

At that very slow rate for one tiny bubble to emerge it's just possible that the space between the diaphragm and the bonnet was slowly filling with water (as there's only that weep hole for water to get in) and you're just seeing the displaced air emerge.

If you were seeing a stream of bubbles, that'd be more convincing of a problem...

Cheers!

btw...it's not a lock that you have an actual gas leak in that regulator.

At that very slow rate for one tiny bubble to emerge it's just possible that the space between the diaphragm and the bonnet was slowly filling with water (as there's only that weep hole for water to get in) and you're just seeing the displaced air emerge.

If you were seeing a stream of bubbles, that'd be more convincing of a problem...

Cheers!

I understand but I'm sure I have leak because I've lost a tank after a week hooked up to only one keg. I'm going to open it up and keep pressure on only the regulator for a few days. If I lose pressure I'll assume that bubble is my problem. If not, Ill keep going down the line until I find it.

A bubble every minute would give you about a cubic foot of gas a month, or about #1 in a year...

So you're saying this is probably not my leak. I'll let it sit for a couple days noting the pressure to confirm but thank you.

Back