? on dropping temp to lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EKennett

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have a Maibock going right now, it's been in primary for 2 weeks at around 54 degrees in my basement. Since my keezer died I've converted my fermentation chamber into a kegerator. My plan is to rack the Maibock to secondary and maybe leave it at 54 for another week then pop it in the kegerator. The gravity right now is 1.020. I'm gonna check it again in three days before I rack it but I think it's pretty much done. Will there be any issue with it going right from the 54 degree room straight in to the 38 degree kegerator? Usually I drop the temp a few degrees every day over a week or two but I don't have that luxury right now. Thanks.

I would warm it up a bit for a couple of days to 65 or so before dropping to 38 for a diacetyl rest

I believe there is a reason for only dropping a couple of degrees per day when lagering....but I don't remember the reason, maybe cause you want the yeast to keep working

I think the only bad thing that happens is the yeast drops out, which isn't terrible as you want it to drop out anyway. If you plan on bottling you may need to add some yeast back in.

I dropped my lager batch in 2 stages, from 65 to 50, then to 32. I don't have any control and went with whatever rooms I could find that would be cold. Eventually it went outside where the temps ranged from low 20s to mid 30s. I only brought it inside when we had a 10 degree day. I left it in the house entrance those days and it hovered around 32. The yeast fully settled out so I added some (1/4 packet dry) when I bottled. It is still conditioning but my taste sample yesterday is definitely coming along.

Back