Rehydrating Yeast Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mew

Reaction score
I rehydrated some dry yeast in warm water and let it sit for ten minutes. I then added a pinch of sugar and waited another ten minutes. Nothing happened. Not a single bubble. Does this mean my yeast is dead?

I have a follow-up question as well: if my yeast is actually dead, what is the best course of action?

Thanks

Rehydrating dry will not result in bubbles.

Expect a watered down clay-like consistency or like the watered down paint you get from a roller when you wash it off.

10-15 mins seems normal for dry yeast. Go for it. It's ready to use.:D

It shouldn't bubble even though I put a little sugar in it?

Not necessarily. If there is enough oxygen in the water, the yeast will start growing. They don't make CO2 at that point.

It's been almost 24 hrs since I pitched the yeast, and it seems to have settled on the bottom. Is it dead? It has been about 60 degrees F all day in its room.

It's been well over 24 hrs since I pitched the yeast, and nothing has happened. I'm adding some more yeast now.

Rehydrating yeast at the wrong temperture could do damage to the yeast.

I just pitch without rehydrating, works for me.

For the correct temps for rehydrating, there are several sources. Google is your friend.

Back