Badass beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I picked up a bottle of American Badass Beer. Kid Rock's signature beer. Brewed by Michigan Brewing Company.

What can I say. I appreciate Michigan Brewing Company. I appreciate Kid Rock's music. The beer? Not so much...

I'm not saying it's a bad beer. But I can't appreciate it. It's a LIGHT AMERICAN LAGER! That's just not my style.

It's COLD, CRISP, AND BUBBLY!

So get this. I bring it home and pour it into a glass and tell my wife what it is. She doesn't really drink beer. So expect her to make a face. What happens? Takes a sip and says, "is this water??"

No, dear, but it's f@(&ing close to water!

Now I understand this beer is not a craft beer kind of beer. It was made to be as light and tasteless as possible, so you can chug as much as possible. It's cheap(ish), so you can buy more (because you are going to be drinking a LOT of it!)

Is it Badass? No.

It is, what it is: Light, Fizzy, Tasteless. Just like every other Light American Lager.

I just can't appreciate it.

This was my opinion of it as well. I had a taster from one of the first batches at MBC before it was even bottled. They were very excited about the launch. Pretty much trailer trash marketing beer to his kind. My wife was excited about it and yes, she grew up in a trailer(a fact that I remind her of and threaten to return her to on a regular basis:D). Can't wait until we see a "anyone have a clone recipe" thread.

I guess I don't know what you guys were expecting. The best case scenario for this beer was a "full flavored" (I use this term very loosely) american lager.

This was my opinion of it as well. I had a taster from one of the first batches at MBC before it was even bottled. They were very excited about the launch. Pretty much trailer trash marketing beer to his kind. My wife was excited about it and yes, she grew up in a trailer(a fact that I remind her of and threaten to return her to on a regular basis:D). Can't wait until we see a "anyone have a clone recipe" thread.

I think I saw the clone someplace...
5 gallon batch
1# extra light DME
1 hop pellet 60 minutes
2 hop pellets 15 minutes

That's all I remember... :D

I think I saw the clone someplace...
5 gallon batch
1# extra light DME
1 hop pellet 60 minutes
2 hop pellets 15 minutes

That's all I remember... :D

LMAO! I guess next old kiddie is going to start marketing his beer as "double hopped."

I guess I don't know what you guys were expecting. The best case scenario for this beer was a "full flavored" (I use this term very loosely) american lager.

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I was hoping for. I mean, to call it "badass" to me indicates that it has more something (flavor??) than the other BMC beers.

I get that it's a play on Rock's "American Badass" moniker, but keep in mind that he got that moniker by doing something a bit more than the average.

I might buy a 6-pack for those people who prefer the BMC stuff. At least it's BMC made by MBC (Did I get that right??). It's on par with the Sargeants beer the MBC also made. I'd have to taste them side by side to tell you which one I prefer though.

Well, yeah, that's kind of what I was hoping for. I mean, to call it "badass" to me indicates that it has more something (flavor??) than the other BMC beers.

I get that it's a play on Rock's "American Badass" moniker, but keep in mind that he got that moniker by doing something a bit more than the average.

I might buy a 6-pack for those people who prefer the BMC stuff. At least it's BMC made by MBC (Did I get that right??). It's on par with the Sargeants beer the MBC also made. I'd have to taste them side by side to tell you which one I prefer though.

I see your point. It shouldn't be light at the very least. Maybe it should have been an imperial american lager, then it would deserve the name.:D

My brother offered to get one of my cornys filled when he went to MBC, and they have another lager that I tried and enjoyed. Nothing special, but it was a beer I'd enjoy having on tap. They were out or weren't filling cornys for that so he made a snap decision to go for the Badass Lager. I was uh... disappointed. I'm still developing the ability to describe flavors, but to me it had some sort of sweetness that just didn't sit right with me. We drank it, but were glad to have a party thrown in the mix to help us get it finished.

It's on par with the Sargeants beer the MBC also made. I'd have to taste them side by side to tell you which one I prefer though.

Hmmmm.... while I missed out on a chance to meet you in January this statement now has you on my "questionable" list:D.

Maybe next year you can bring a mixed sixxer of american light lagers and we can do a comprehensive taste evaluation complete with BJCP scoresheets:rockin:.

Hmmmm.... while I missed out on a chance to meet you in January this statement now has you on my "questionable" list:D.

Maybe next year you can bring a mixed sixxer of american light lagers and we can do a comprehensive taste evaluation complete with BJCP scoresheets:rockin:.

Damn, you gonna bring that up again?? I'M SORRY!

But hey, I'd love to get together and do some tasting. Let's make it anythign other than Zima wannabes and I'm in (oh, and sour beers are out too...)

I live 2 miles from the Michigan Brewing Company, and for what it is, it is a good beer, IMHO. On Monday, I can get a mixed case of their craft beers for $24 out the door. They have a wide selection, but I usually grab a couple of these and couple of MBC's sunset wheat in my case for lawn-mower beers. It has more body and mouth feel than bud or miller. I like a crisp light american pilsner or light wheat now and then when I am working outside. But I never want more than one or two in a case.

Does anyone know if MBC's Bad Assbeer (sic) is brewed with all malt or with adjuncts?

While I'm not crazy about this particular assbeer, I do respect an all-malt yellow beers. I'd be more inclined to drink Michelob original than rice beer.

From the taste, I believe it's a adjunct beer. An all malt beer would be awesome though!

If it does have adjuncts, it should at least be corn. A rice based beer would be better called "Asian Badass".

Does anyone know if MBC's Bad Assbeer (sic) is brewed with all malt or with adjuncts?

While I'm not crazy about this particular assbeer, I do respect an all-malt yellow beers. I'd be more inclined to drink Michelob original than rice beer.

I know the thread is old, but I just picked up a six of this on the way to pick up my wife at DTW. I had seen it on Diners, Drive Ins, and Dives and took it to be all barley, from what they showed. I liked it, but then I like beer, from those as pale as this, to my PtE clone, and the Consecration kit that's fermenting as I type...
I found the BadAss to pour with a fluffy, white head. It was crisp, medium dry with a hint of sweetness, a grainy barley impression, and a distinct, but VERY light handed touch of bittering, and even less aroma hops. I though it was good for the style.

Aside from my wife returning with a few Lost Abbey bottles, and the BadAss, I also came home with a few bottles of JP's Sobrehumano Palena 'Ole. Can't wait to get a couple of my beer appreciating buddies to bust a couple of those open!

Latest posts

Back