quick help please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JonClayton

Reaction score
I just tried my first all grain brew in a bag using death brewers method. OG should be 1.056 but is only 1.040 after a good stirring. I have not pitched the yeast yet and I am considering dissolving some light DME to try to raise the OG. Does this sound like the right thing to do? The brew is a double chocolate stout but the only sugars I have available are light DME, dextrose, and possibly brown sugar.

Thanks

I just tried my first all grain brew in a bag using death brewers method. OG should be 1.056 but is only 1.040 after a good stirring. I have not pitched the yeast yet and I am considering dissolving some light DME to try to raise the OG. Does this sound like the right thing to do? The brew is a double chocolate stout but the only sugars I have available are light DME, dextrose, and possibly brown sugar.

Thanks

DME would work fine! Let's see- to raise the OG from 1.040 to 1.056 in 5 gallons will take 2 pounds. You can dissolve it in as little boiling water as possible, boil for a minute, cool and add it.

Yooper, thanks for your help. I got it up to 1.052, much better! It's late and 5am comes early tomorrow, but I will post info on my brew tonight in the morning and see if anyone can help me pinpoint where I went wrong.

Thanks again!

Yooper, thanks for your help. I got it up to 1.052, much better! It's late and 5am comes early tomorrow, but I will post info on my brew tonight in the morning and see if anyone can help me pinpoint where I went wrong.

Thanks again!

We'll be here!

Glad I could help, and we'll definitely help you figure out where any efficiency issues could be.

Here is the run down of my AG BIB attempt, somewhat following deathbrewers method listed here https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-stovetop-all-grain-brewing-pics-90132/

Instead of working stovetop, I used my bayou classic outdoors in 20 degree weather - dedication right? :)

To get started, I placed the entire grain bill, 10lb 4 oz, into a large strainer bag and placed that inside a 5 gallon igloo water cooler. I left the top of the bag open and the turned out over the edges of the cooler. The recipe called for an ideal mash temp of 150, but that sounded a little low to me so I heated my strike water to 162 and poured it into/through the grain bag until the cooler was full. I admit that I did not calculate a proper volume, instead I brought 4 gallons of water up to 162 and used as much as I could fit in the cooler, which ended up being about 3.5 gallons for the mash. I stirred up the grains a little, dropped in my thermometer lead, and put the top on the cooler. The mash was at 158 at this point and over the course of the 60 min mash time it cooled to 151.

With a few mins left in the mash, I heated up my sparge water to 170. I probably messed up again at this point by not really being sure how much sparge water I needed so I guesstimated 3.5 gallons thinking that I wanted to end up with a 6 gallon boil and probably lost 1 gallon to absorption in the mash. After the 60 min mash I lifted up the grain bag and let it drain into the cooler and then moved the bag over to the 170 sparge water and began dunking the bag as if it were a giant tea bag. I dunked/drained several times before placing the bag in the sparge and letting it sit for about 5 mins (ding the light comes on as I realize it probably should have soaked longer per DB's instructions). I lifted out the bag letting it drain again and disposed of the grains. I then added the contents of the mash turn cooler to the sparge water and started the 60 min boil as normal from there.

When I added the brew to the carboy I came up short by about 1/2 gallon so obviously I under estimated absorption earlier and had to top off to get my 5 gallon batch. I stirred it very well and took my hydro to find the low reading mentioned in post one.

Looking back, here is what I think could have caused my troubles. DB's instructions have him adding the grain to a bag in the water stirring long the way, instead of pouring the water through the grain bag and stirring all at once. Maybe this is was my big mistake?

I also forgot to let it soak in the sparge water for at least 10 or longer. I completely forgot that it needed to soak. It ended up getting at least 5 mins of soak time because i was doing something else at the same time, but it should have definitely been left longer.

I am open to any suggestions so that I don't screw up my next batch. My ears open and ready to listen.

I would suggest adding an iodine test to your procedure. Pull a small sample(few drops from a turkey baster) onto a white plate, cup, or mug (I use ceramic, Do Not Use Paper) and add 1 drop of drug store tincture of Iodine. If drop turns purple, there is still more starch to be converted, wait longer. If it stays brown, you are good to finish up and transfer to boil.

Some of my mashes have gone up to 90min. before getting a good conversion.

I do try to keep a few pounds of DME on hand in case I miss my target.

Cheap way to test. Hope this helps.

Back