started up two batches, thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masanasama

Reaction score
So batch one, is 3lbs wild local wild flower honey, splash of lemon juice, waiting two weeks to add three lbs of mixed berries to get a little more flavor.

Batch two also 3lbs, splash lemon, a decent pinch of anise, cinnamon, clove, and a sprig of pine.

Both are one gallon, and I'm using red star Pasteur. Shooting for roughly 15%

So batch one, is 3lbs wild local wild flower honey, splash of lemon juice, waiting two weeks to add three lbs of mixed berries to get a little more flavor.

Batch two also 3lbs, splash lemon, a decent pinch of anise, cinnamon, clove, and a sprig of pine.

Both are one gallon, and I'm using red star Pasteur. Shooting for roughly 15%

Batch one sounds better to me, but....that's just my thought/opinion...not a fan of anise nor clove flavor in mead...batch two may indeed be fantastic, just offering up my lowly thought/opinion ;)

Both sound delicious and I must say that Im glad you only used a splash of lemon. I dont think it will contribute much to the flavor in the end product and adding more lemon juice will lower the pH too much. Im definitely no expert and constantly ask for help on my meads, but IMO if you want more lemon in the end use some grated lemon peel.

Batch one sounds better to me, but....that's just my thought/opinion...not a fan of anise nor clove flavor in mead...batch two may indeed be fantastic, just offering up my lowly thought/opinion ;)

Yeah, I only used a teeny bit of each I'm going for just a little of almost a mulled taste which I know isn't for everyone. MORE FOR ME! hahaha

I haven't ever used lemon peel, does it bitter it at all? I always add a small splash for the citric acid not enough to taste but I started doing it years ago and the yeast seems to love it.

I put lime zest in my current mead and it gives it a good lime flavor with some bitterness that isnt overpowering. I also added pieces of lemon and lime peel to a Saison I am making and the pith gave a totally different bitter that wasnt in a good way. Im hoping that in both cases as the mead and beer ages, the yeast will munch away and change the off flavors.

Back