Deciding what to brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

Reaction score
I fairly new to home brew. Have brewed 2 extract kits they are OK.
Just not much (body) or is it called mouthfeel.
I ready to try a specialty grain or (partial)mini-mash and there are just two many to decide.. Looking for advice.
The only local brewing suppily store is a wine making that had a couple of Brewers Best kits but is stock is wine.
We have a local CO-OP where I've picked up equipment he has some extract Dme and hops but they've been there for quite some time and didn't see any grain.
I've found places like Austin Homebrew that have manyyyyyyy packages, now I just not sure what to try first.

When I buy beer I realy like the Sam Adams Octoberfest and Lager. Found a Pale Ale form Upland (Bloomington, In) and and IPA.
I was thinkging of trying a Brown Ale I've seen American style and English.

Thanks

I have brewed three AHB kits with the "mini mash" option of steeping grains. They have all come out absolutely wonderful and everything is provided. They have tons of clone beers and I'm sure you can find some Sam Adams clones and if that's what you drink I suggest you get that. I don't have a LHBS nearby so I use AHBS most of the time. Great service, awesome kits.

Dan

When you're starting, you can't beat brewing clones of beers you like and AHB does a good job on their kits. So good, that I've dropped my own Porter recipe and only do their Mocha Porter mini-mash.

If you want something with body then you should try to make a hefeweizen. 6 lbs wheat DME and steep 3 lbs of wheat malt. You will get body, some good Alcohol % and if you use a Hefe liquid yeast a very good german wheat beer.

Back