Ferm chamber question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtg4772

Reaction score
Check out this pic. I'm trying to decide whether to

image-427412369.jpg

install this sight window or not. It would be cool to have but may increase the probability of leakage and other potential problems.

Would be cool. Looks like you installed the original fridge door so it should be really easy to open and close if you want to take a quick look at things. My chamber is the same way and I just pop the door open and take a look inside everyday to make sure all is well. You wont change the temp much inside by opening the door for a few seconds and even if you do the beer in the fermenters isn't going to change at all from a quick peek.

Like I said, the window would be cool but like you said it may reduce your insulating properties. I'd skip it. You can always add it later if you want.

That chamber looks similar to mine:

DSCN4940-600.jpg

Best thing I've ever built and using the fridge door is the greatest idea I ever stole.

Has anyone ever thought of standing up (on its edge/handles) a standard 120 qt cooler and sliding a 6.5 gallon carboy into it? You could cover the fermenter with a towel or two to prevent direct contact with frozen bottles on top and insert a quick read thermometer in the drain hole..and even a small computer fan for circulation. The Coleman Xtreme 120 qt. cooler when stood up measures 19" W x 19"D X 39" H...This would accommodate the carboy and airlock. Simple, but effective?? Any thoughts

Back