Upgrade to all grain bk size vs. hlt. size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timr62

Reaction score
I am making the leap to all grain. I currently have a 15 gal. Boilermaker brewpot. I would like to start making 15 gallon all grain batches since I brew with 2 other people. If we get two more 20 gallon pots, using one of the 20 g. Pots as the boil kettle. Would the 15 gallon pot be useful as the HLT and the other 20 gal as the mash tun or the other way around? Thanks in advance

Tim

Depends on what type of gravity your a brewing. A 15 gal MT for 15 gal batches would limit you to a gravity of 1.060 or so.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/how-big-your-mash-tun-needs-123585/

Coolers work pretty darn well and are cheap. A kettle type mash tun works great but you will need to insulate or supply heat, if you are heating then you need to move the wort...recirculate as to not overheat the bottom of the tun.

Yeah, I'd use 20 gal for MLT, 15 gal for HLT. 20 gal for MLT is plenty for 15 gal batches, (although for big beers you'll have to limit water/grain ratio a bit.

This is true. By Bobby's chart: 5 gal batch in 10 gal MLT has max gravity of 1.118 at 70% eff.

so 118 * (20 gal/10 gal MLT) / (15 gal batch/5 gal batch) = max points of 78.6, or max OG of 1.079.

So you can hit 1.079 at 70% eff with a 20 gal MLT making 15 gal batches.

Back