Cleaning an infected keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cpt_Kirks

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon and a 3 gallon keg that both had an infected batch.

I dumped the vinegar, rinsed them repeatedly, soaked them in hot oxyclean for a couple of days, and rinsed again.

This weekend, I am planning on stripping them down, scrubbing the tubes, posts and poppets, then soaking it all in a strong bleach solution.

After more rinsing, I'm going to reassemble them and store them with a gallon of star san solution in each.

Does that sound good enough?

I would skip the bleach and just use star-san... but that's just me.

One thing that I picked up from HBT somewhere was someone suggsting using a wallpaper tray. They are the long shallow trays that you can use to hang wallpaper with ($2 at a hardware store).

If I have a corny that is a little cruddy, I'll give it a good rinse out with really hot water until I can't see any more crud. Then I'll put about a gallon in with a little PBW, close it up and shake the hell out of it. I then push down on the "out" poppet to make sure the dip tube isn't clogged... if water shoots out... it ain't clogged and I just filled it with hot water and PBW to soak. If water doesn't shoot out, I remove the poppet and clean the dip tube with a dip tube brush (couple bucks at HBS).

Once the dip tube is clog free... I'll fill the entire keg with hot water and PBW and then leave it overnight.

next day.. rinse really well... and then I take off the poppets and take out both dip tubes (at least I call the tiny air one a dip tube too).... and lay them all, including the lid, in a wallpaper tray with water and star-san for... a while... shouldn't need long at all but I do an hour or so while I'm doing other things.

After that, I put some star san and a gallon of water in the keg, put all of the pieces back together and shake the hell out of it a couple of times over a 15 minute period.

empty... let dry... use.

and I've never had a problem. I've done this with kegs I got that were still crusty with old soda syrup and I've never had a problem with infections in them.

I do a good soak with pbw, rinse with hot water, then just store them with about 2 gal of iodophor. +1 on the not using bleach on stainless.

don't forget to seat the lid with 30psi co2, then purge the oxygen so they're stored with only co2.

10% bleach solution is as strong as you need to go. On a mechanically clean surface 10% bleach will instantly kill viruses, bacteria, spores, fungus, even prions.

No higher concentration is constructive.

As noted, bleach will pit Stainless Steel with prolonged contact.

After its clean, dump a gallon of boiling water in it. Seal her up and flip 15 mins, 15 mins after that your good(30 min soak). san star sanitizes, heat sterilizes.

Back