Coffee porter recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djherb08

Reaction score
Hey guys i've recently been on a coffee beer kick and Im interested in trying to make one that ends up something like troegs java head but with a more prominent coffee aroma and flavor. I got some tips from the brewmaster at Hijinx nanobrewery on how to get the best coffee flavor however I'm still looking for the best porter recipe to start with which will provide a good dark malty flavor but not overpower the coffee. Any ideas?

all grain, I have a brutus setup with three 15 gallon kettles for all grain brewing as well as a conical to ferment in

interesting, do you have your own cold brewer or do you know somewhere to buy toddy pre-made?

I made a good one:

8 lbs Pale malt (Replace with about 6 lbs light DME)
.75 lbs Chocolate Malt

1oz East Kent Goldings 1-hour
1oz Fuggles -1hour

1 vial California Ale (WLP001)

To get the coffee flavor there are actually many things you can do:
1.either about a pound of coffee malt to your specalty grains
2. 12oz of extra course ground coffee to you secondary fermentor
3. maybe a 1/2 gallon of brewed coffee added when bottling/kegging (make sure its room temperature though

I've tried all of these and all have turned good results, my favorite probably being a little bit of coffee malt in the mash (.25lbs) and a 1/2 gallon of cold brew when I kegged. I really like strong coffee flavors so I hope you get to try and see how it turns out

Sorry for the coffee instructions I just copy and pasted that from a different post I had earlier. This is my recipe and I thought it turned out great. And I'm with you I thought cold brew in the secondary turned out the best coffee flavor. Just keep in mind depending on how much you add will change the ABV slightly

Back