yeast starter duration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe028

Reaction score
how long does your average starter take to see noticeable activity? How long until pitchable?

I've only done about 3 starters so far, but normally I make mine up on Friday night, and pitch after brewing on Sunday. I just try to keep the yeast in suspension and pitch everything. It's worked pretty good so far.

I've got a 1/2 gal starter I did Monday for this weekend. I usually make a starter on Wends for a Sunday brewday. Ironically, I may be sticking this one in the fridge for another time and just get a vial to pitch on Saturday since I changed my mind and decided to brew an Irish red. I figure I have just enough time for it to be ready for St Paddy's day.:D

I feel like a cheerleader rooting my yeast on to reproduce. I guess the more I watch the less they will want to...

The time it takes a starter to show signs of activity is related to the amount of yeast you add and the volume of your starter. Thus, for example, I make a starter from the large Wyeast smack packs sand add it to about 2 1/2 cups of sterile wort. That is, I think, about 25 billion cells into this volume. I see activity in about 12 hours. I often make my starters on Thursday night for Saturday brew.

Dr Malt

Back