Historical Beer: Sahti Sahm Tea (Dogfish Sahti Clone)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew207

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
White Labs #WLP300
Yeast Starter
2.5 ml at 1.040
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
6.7 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
7 days at 70F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days at 70F
Additional Fermentation
None
Tasting Notes
None
Recipe: 65% Efficiency

17 pounds 1.9 oz German Pilsner 2 Row
3 pounds 3.3 oz Rye Malt
.52 oz Hallertauer at 60 minutes
Mash at 155

Dog Fish has 86% Pils to 14% Rye Mash at 155, w 6 IBU 9% ABV. This recipe comes in around 9.12% and I upped the IBUs to meet Beer Style guidelines.
Spices included Cardomom, Corriander, Ginger, All Spice, Rampe Leaves, Lemongrass, Curry Powder, Black Tea. Juniper was added with Hops. Tea steeped and added separate at "the last moment so that its volatile flavors wouldn't boil off." (From New Yorker Article)

Zymurgy suggests 4 bags of tea per gallon of beer in de-chlorinated water. Prepare tea by adding 1/2 cup boiled water per 4 tea bags and steeping for 15-20 minutes. Adjust amount of tea up or down for more or less flavor. May/June 2016 issue, "Brewing with Tea".

I will split batch after 60 minute boil and add 2 versions of steeped chai. 1 will be homemade version(minus the black tea as Zymurgy article says tannins in tea can give off flavors) and the other will be commercial chai. To keep tea in scale with New Yorker article, I will use .25 gal of tea, assuming "bucket" in the article is 5 gallons.

I plan on using 2 oz of Juniper added with the hops. Chai Tea will be added in the fermenting bucket.

Whole Foods Chai Recipe:

Serves 4
1 cinnamon stick
6 whole cardamom pods, lightly crushed
6 whole cloves
1 (1-inch) piece fresh ginger root, peeled and thinly sliced
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
2 single-serve black tea bags or 1 tablespoon loose black tea
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

Place cinnamon, cardamom, cloves, ginger, peppercorns and 3 cups water into a small pot and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to let steep for 10 minutes.

Return pot to the heat and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, add tea, cover and set aside to let steep for 3 to 5 minutes. Strain through a fine mesh sieve, discarding solids, then return liquid to the pot. Stir in sugar and milk and heat over low heat for 1 minute. Pour into cups and serve. - See more at: http://m.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipe/homemade-chai#sthash.3ksgdUZE.dpuf

Latest posts

Back