lids need to be food grade?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew_4iT

Reaction score
I bought some 5 gallon food grade buckets cheap on craigslist but forget about lids... do I need to have food grade lids as well? Since the wort/beer would have no contact with it theoretically shouldn't leech in any chemicals right?

It does have contact as krausen & condensation come into play. It's pretty humid in there. Better safe than sorry. Seems to me food grade is the little arrow triangle with "1" or "2" in it.

It does have contact as krausen & condensation come into play. It's pretty humid in there. Better safe than sorry. Seems to me food grade is the little arrow triangle with "1" or "2" in it.

The three arrowed triangle is the recycled plastic symbol. Not sure how to tell food grade from non food grade, ask your LHBS. I wouldn't risk using non food grade anything while making something for consumption.

Brew_4iT said:
I bought some 5 gallon food grade buckets cheap on craigslist but forget about lids... do I need to have food grade lids as well? Since the wort/beer would have no contact with it theoretically shouldn't leech in any chemicals right?

The beer often does touch the lid though (hence the wisdom of blow-off tubes), and beer is pretty acidic so it leeches chemicals quite easily. You can really only tell if it's food grade if you have some way of knowing precisely the type of plastic being used. However, many homebrew stores sells lids (with the proper hole and grommet) separately, so you'd probably be best going that route.

Also 5gallon buckets are too small for typically 5gallon batches. I really wouldn't put anything more than 3.5 gallons in them, personally, 4gal if you really want to push it.

The number inside the recycling symbol really just has to do with HOW it's recycled. Some recycling plants with better capabilities can handle numbers that others cannot, and so many municipalities only really allow certain numbers to go through their curbside pickup service... although it's obviously impossible to enforce.

The beer often does touch the lid though (hence the wisdom of blow-off tubes), and beer is pretty acidic so it leeches chemicals quite easily. You can really only tell if it's food grade if you have some way of knowing precisely the type of plastic being used. However, many homebrew stores sells lids (with the proper hole and grommet) separately, so you'd probably be best going that route.

Also 5gallon buckets are too small for typically 5gallon batches. I really wouldn't put anything more than 3.5 gallons in them, personally, 4gal if you really want to push it.

Oh yeah... didn't even think about that. Are 5 gallon food grade bucket lids universal?

Most of the time, but not always. Measure the diameter of the top/opening of the bucket. If it's 12 inches, it should be fine with the vast majority of lids.

Revy posted some time ago on this subject and for some reason I believe most of what he says is the truth.

He said that as long as the n umber "1" or "2" is on the lid/bucket it's food safe. Unless it's intended for foods the manufacturer is not going to claim any thing to do w/food.

If you do a search on "food quality buckets" I'm sure you 'll find many threads.

C-Rider said:
Revy posted some time ago on this subject and for some reason I believe most of what he says is the truth.

He said that as long as the n umber "1" or "2" is on the lid/bucket it's food safe. Unless it's intended for foods the manufacturer is not going to claim any thing to do w/food.

If you do a search on "food quality buckets" I'm sure you 'll find many threads.

I just looked into it, and 1 and 2 actually ARE fine. It's not what the numbers are intended for, but 1 is PET (used for better bottles) and 2 is HDPE (used for most fermenting buckets, e.g. Ale Pails).

Other numbers may be fine, but I'd stick with those two.

I should've remembered it was revvy that posted that,I remember reading it. Hence my recommendations. Oooh,ye of little faith...:D

unionrdr said:
I should've remembered it was revvy that posted that,I remember reading it. Hence my recommendations. Oooh,ye of little faith...:D

Well, better safe than sorry. Even if Revvy camebin here and said it himself, I would double-check, especially since the numbering system is not meant to indicate whether something is food-safe whatsoever. But because PET and HDPE are widely known, without question, to be fine for fermenting with, we can safely infer that the numbers representing them are okay to use.

Well,we have to recycle everything around here,so we're always looking for the "1" & "2" triangle bit. It seems to me some of the newest ones have the "green" symbol as well.? So I'm familiar with this concept. Never too old or wise to learn...

I have bought food grade white 5 gallon lids in Walmart's paint department for about $1.00. The ones I have bought did need to have a hole drilled through the lid for your rubber grommit. I have never had a problem with these lids and have used them on the 6.5 gallon buckets at times.

Back