Honey malt application

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingman0330

Reaction score
I decided on doing a flagstaff honey wheat extract kit from homebrewers.com for my third batch. So far I've stuck to the instructions on the kits i've been doing and now I want to start experimenting. From my reading in other threads it seams that the honey added for fermintation is mainly for a higher alcohol content and doesn't really add to the flavor. The best fix to getting a honey flavor it seem is adding honey malt. What is the best way to add the malt? I would guess it would be in the steeping process. The honey malt i found comes with several ways to get it, cracked together or seperate/ uncracked together or seperate. which one of these would be best for a begginer?

You can crush it and steep. When added at the end of the boil honey does give some nice flavor. Added during the boil will just burn the flavor off. Honey malt works great.

Honey malt is good, but use it sparingly because it adds a lot of sweetness. I'd say less than .5 lbs per 5 gallon batch. Others may have done well with more than this, but I found it took away from the way the beer should taste with any more.

Back