Rubber grommet into the wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tobrew

Reaction score
Brewing my fisrt batch today. When I put the air stop in the rubber grommet feel into the wort. I panacked and stuck my arm into the wort and got it out..Guessing it will contaminated Correct???? Should I dump it or see what happens?? Pitched the yeast about 2 hours ago..
thanks

just see what happens, it'll probably be fine. a friend of mine did that and it had no ill effect on the beer. we called it hairy hands hefeweizen.

buy a spare grommet and next time just leave the other one in there.

Well, that brings back memories for me! I believe my first post here was the same issue- except I left the grommet in there, and duct taped the airlock on! To this day I mutter to myself "airlock on the lid, THEN the lid on the bucket" each brewday. I also bought another grommet, and it never happened again!

Now, I'm no beer professional, but trust me when I say the beer will be fine!

You're now a proud member of the elite brotherhood of the homebrewer!

Welcome.

Next time leave it in...I have submerged my arm into fermenters before, but it is really risky...it's oft better to just leave anything in there.

Edit I wasn't going to name names about a certain moderator who's first thread was similar to yours.

red-arrow-up.png

Brewing my fisrt batch today. When I put the air stop in the rubber grommet feel into the wort. I panacked and stuck my arm into the wort and got it out..Guessing it will contaminated Correct???? Should I dump it or see what happens?? Pitched the yeast about 2 hours ago..
thanks
I did the same thing 3 weeks ago
so far so good, no infections that i can see
just bottled it on t-day, never dump it!
Hang in there and see what happens:mug:

Did the same thing on my first batch of Brown Ale. At the time, I thought I had to retrieve the little sucker or the beer wouldn't turn out. I've made a couple of pretty "off" beers in my brief brewing career, but even the worst of those beers made a great marinade or brat jacuzzi.

I also did the same thing! I panicked, then thought to myself..."Everything that is used around beer making needs to be sanitized." So I got my sanitizer, and soaked some long rubber gloves for about 20 min, then went fishing. It was my first batch, and it turned out great.

Back